The Civil Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Civil Service

I'm hoping somebody on here will be able to shed some light.

I was made redundant a few months back, and decided I would try and move into the public sector instead of working for scumbag private firms who hire and fire at will.

Anyway, I applied for a civil service job, and after completing a laborious interview process I have been offered a post. But...

When I applied, I made sure that a) I would be based in my native north Wales or NW England, as I can't be arsed moving, and b) the position I applied for was actually available, as I'd heard the Civil Service tended to accept people then make them wait for silly amounts of time before actually giving them a job.

I was assured that I would be based in my desired location and that, yes, they were looking for somebody to take up the position immediately.

I have now received through an email informing me I have been successful. However, I will have to wait for up to six months before finding out whether I will (or will not) actually be given a position. Furthermore, the email states this could be anywhere in the UK.

Now, I have tried contacting them to find out if they have lied to me or if this is some sort of standard practice bollocks that they've sent me. Unfortunately, it transpires there is only one - ONE - person in the entire Civil Service who can answer my queries. This individual doesn't respond to messages or emails and is never ever available when I call.

Part of me thinks this is just a standard email and that at some point soon I will be told to report to wherever for work. But part of me thinks this is a load of old bollocks, and they are expecting me to wait six months only to be told there is no job available, or even worse that there is but it is in Aberdeen or London or somewhere very far away from where I want to be.

Does anybody have any experience of working for the civil service? Can anyone please put my mind at rest/spin me into a blind panic?

I mean, the last three months have been fun as I've had my severance pay to spend - but that has all gone, more or less, and I am not prepared to wait on the off chance that they might pull their bloody fingers out and get me in somewhere.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

The Civil Service

Well, not wishing to "out" myself, I have some experience of working in the Civil Service. In the North-West of England. In a recruitment capacity.

PM me, perhaps, I'll see what advice I can offer.

It rather sounds as though you've applied through one of the generic graduate entry schemes run out of Whitehall, their standard letters do tend to reiterate that you'll be offered an appointment "in due course, at a location to be determined". If so, that location will be either London, or Leeds. Have you ever been to Quarry House? It's wonderful.

Comment

The Civil Service

Thanks Rogin, PM sent.

Comment

The Civil Service

Sorry TCP... an email telling you, you have the job?

and Rogin is way ahead of me, so apologies, I hope it all goes well.

Comment

The Civil Service

Gerontophile wrote:
          Sorry TCP... an email telling you, you have the job?

and Rogin is way ahead of me, so apologies, I hope it all goes well.
          Sort of - an email telling me I have passed the interviews & tests but if I wait six months they may or may not actually give me the job, which could be anywhere in the UK rather than the specific sites I was told I would work at. I can't afford to sit on my hands for six months on the off-chance.

Hopefully Rogin can help but any other help greatly appreciated!

Comment

The Civil Service

PM sent TCP

Comment

The Civil Service

get and keep names.

Comment

The Civil Service

because if all else goes tits up, you get to buy a 'Pall Ross' pic with your insurance!

(was going to edit that... but you know: no)

Comment

The Civil Service

Gerontophile wrote:
                  because if all else goes tits up, you get to buy a 'Pall Ross' pic with your insurance!

(was going to edit that... but you know: no)
                  Ooh, good point. I actually think I'd rather have the Paul Ross canvas.

Comment

Working...
                  X