On My Mantlepiece.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On My Mantlepiece.

A porcelain tattooed bull; a soapstone owl; a fox's skull; a brass pig; a deer's antler; a Lewis chessman (a pawn); a varnished stone; a postcard of The Porteous Mob by James Drummond.

On My Mantlepiece.

That's a disquietingly hauntological mantelpiece.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

On (the closest thing to) my mantlepiece:

one teddy bear in lederhosen
      a touch sensitive lamp
      a picture of the flatiron building in NY (c1930)
      a NY Yankees tankard with a dozen 'mums placed in a zen-like ikebana stylee
      two flight tickets to Amsterdam
      and a postcard from Latvia.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

Hauntological?

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

A philosophical concept formulated by Derrida concerning the spectre of the past, but now used more often to describe a musical genre which attempts to evoke half-remembered fragments of childhood memories and unsettling nostalgic ephemera such as terrifying public information films and the title sequence to Picture Box.

There was a thread about it on the old OTF, which has of course itself now become nostalgic ephemera.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

Aah. Thanks, KM.

I guess it does look a bit Wasp Factory-ish written down.

I don't know about childhood memories, but the Lewis chessman does look a bit like Noggin the Nog.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

there are two mantelpieces in my flat

1) Several Loebs (Ovid, Vergil, Manilius, Valerius Flaccus, probably more); a text of Aeschylus; 5 or 6 Dorothy L Sayers; about 10 penguin Evelyn Waughs all matching with kind of 20s-style covers that it took me years to collect; Nicholas Nickleby, The Pickwick Papers, the Christmas books; the Father Brown stories; a black and gold candle; a ceramic pot; a little wooden bricks skyline of London thingummy

2) several OCTs (Euripides, Seneca, I forget what else); the poems of Matthew Arnold; an old Bible; an old Arabic Koran; two blue bowls; a silver clock; Kidnapped and Catriona, covers sellotaped on; a white vase; a nice copy of The Hobbit; the Decameron; a blue postcard

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

blue as in rude?

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

Empty flower vases, empty pewter wine goblets (wedding gift), cat's ashes, ant trap.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

no blue as in blue

I forgot lots of things I see now. The Stevenson is actually Dr Jekyll and another one. a text of Cicero's orations. the Orange Fairy Book. the thousand and one nights (abridged). Jane Eyre. a photo in which I am a bit slimmer and standing in the Forum in Rome.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

I have no mantlepiece. I'm keeping it real.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

Do modern houses have mantelpieces?

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

What's a little wooden bricks skyline of London thingummy? Sounds like I might want one.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

A hurricane lamp. A painting of a fishing boat. A model of a Galway Hooker. A brass plaque with an Irish saying on it (There's no hearth like your own hearth). A port light. Dust.

I didn't realise we had such a nautical theme going.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

It was from Muji. London in a bag. Theres an Eye and a post office tower and a big Ben, and a gherkin. Someone has posted pictures of their New York version here.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

A photo from Procida of an open window and a lemon tree.
                                A photo of my wife in Tokyo
                                A diptych of me and my son at my brother's wedding
                                A photo of a garden filled with guests from our own wedding
                                Assorted candles
                                A cheezy plastic Masaai figure
                                Measuring tape
                                Three small Phaidon or Phaidon-like books: Century, The Photo Book, The History of Photography
                                An unfortunate amount of dust.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

I don't have a mantlepiece as such, so here's what's on the main shelf in the living room. (It's a very long shelf.)

A Price's Emergency Candles tin containing assorted foreign currency, much of it defunct
                                  A plaster-of-paris cherub that's meant to be on the wall
                                  A Magic Roundabout picture I've had since I was a toddler
                                  An action figure of the Fonz
                                  Photo stands containing pictures of Mrs Rhino, me with Mrs Rhino, me with Nicky Wire and me with Richey Edwards
                                  A rubber replica of Dali's Mae West's lips
                                  A case containing two brilliant rag dolls of me and Mrs Rhino, made by a friend on the occasion of our engagement
                                  A little Beavis & Butthead gadget that goes "This sucks! Huh-huh" (and three other phrases)
                                  A pack of 'Death On Drugs' playing cards
                                  A pack of 'Marseille' tarot cards
                                  A pack of 'Exploitation Of Women/Feminazis' playing cards
                                  A pack of 'Back To The USSR' playing cards
                                  The 'I Predict A Pop Quiz' Champions League Winners' trophy, Nov 2007
                                  A My Little Pony with a blue mane
                                  A Manic Street Preachers 'You Love Us' make-up compact with mirror
                                  A Manic Street Preachers 'Slash & Burn' cigarette lighter
                                  A boxed pair of Good vs Evil Unicorns, presented to us by Mr and Mrs Carcass
                                  Squishy novelty rubber penis, bafflingly given by best mate Tony
                                  A cow-print metal ashtray containing three Las Vegas dice, a Reservoir Dogs cigarette lighter, a Wu-Tang Clan coin, one of those dice that helps you decide what to do ('LOVE', 'TV', 'SEX', 'PUB' etc), a polished glass thing with Prince's logo on it, and two Stay Beautiful matchbooks
                                  A pink lamp with hearts all over it
                                  The notorious Time Out 'Shoot Me, Daddy!!' Marvin Gaye cover, framed
                                  Assorted eyeliner, cover-up, glitter tubes, lip-liner etc
                                  Rubber wristbands that are supposed to look like barbed wire
                                  Bettie Page wallet
                                  Sunglasses
                                  Keys for a bicycle lock
                                  Northern Soul badge
                                  Soap nicked from a posh hotel
                                  Two of the actual 'Pulp' washing-powder boxes from the "Common People" video.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

Two of the actual 'Pulp' washing-powder boxes from the "Common People" video.
                                    We may need to stop. No one's going to beat that for sheer cool.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

I have a Lego Zinedine Zidane on my bookshelf, but I suspect that can't compete at all.

Comment

On My Mantlepiece.

Except it's on a shelf, not a mantelpiece, so it doesn't count...

Comment

Working...
                                        X