So Sri Lanka, then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Sri Lanka, then

Absolutely horrific what's going on there at the moment. Anyone got any particular insights. This looks at least as bad as what happened in Gaza earlier in the year and probably merits a thread, though I've no in-depth knowledge. My local Tamil-run corner shop's been shutting up periodically at weekends in order to attend demos in Central London, and it seems like a sadly typical case of a government using the tried-and-distrusted 'war on terror' template to bomb the shit out of people.

So Sri Lanka, then

There's a lot of talk of this being the "endgame" but that strikes me as bullshit. Vile carpet bombing acts like this only prolong grievances for decades, centuries even.

Comment

So Sri Lanka, then

Given the thread title I was half-expecting you to ask for holiday tips (friends of mine went on honeymoon to Trincomalee some years ago, just a few months before it kicked off there).

I lived in Colombo for a year as a kid in the early 70s. Sporadic violence there, more sustained up-country (although at that time the conflict was more left-right ideological than ethnic, I think).

Comment

Working...
      X