Ok, tell me what to do to get a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have decided that teaching is possibly the perfect job for me.

I need to know what route to take.

I am 41, have no qualifications apart from 7 o-levels (GCSE to the young folk) and, in a perfect world, need to start earning reasonably soon rather than take the next 4 years off to do a full-time degree.

I am volunteering in my local school which I am also governor of. I am a Sunday School teacher (don't laugh) and a football coach. I have been full-time househusband to Marley for 4 years on and off. Apart from that, I have done a variety of non-education based jobs

MY initial thoughts were to get a teaching assistant job and see if I liked it enough to take on teaching full-time but teaching assistant jobs are rarer than hen's teeth especially for someone as inexperienced as me.

Now I am looking at on-the-job training because of the need to earn money.

I have also heard that, if you teach 16-18 year olds in evening classes, you don't need a degree but I haveno idea how that works.

Suggestions please

http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit.aspx

Comment

Cheers, JtS, I have been simultaneously looking at that.Rather worryingly, it is confusing me which suggests I am too thick to be a teacher but it may be because I am a bit ill today

Comment

Take karate lessons, wear a stab vest, and carry a stick with a nail in it.

Seriously, good luck. The world needs teachers, and even better if it is a vocation rather than just a job.

Comment

Did you follow this...

http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/becomingateacher/waysintoteaching/yourroute.aspx

Comment

Punch everyone you meet who hears about what you want to do and replies with "Those who can do, those who can't teach". Punch hard.

I'm not sure what the situation is in the UK but I know my mother and her sister have found it very difficult to progress in the world of social services and teaching without a third level degree. Best of luck hunting though - I'd prefer my kids get teachers like yourself rather than some of the students I know from Teacher Colleges in Dublin.

Comment

Teaching older kids and adults in college is something I've considered. I've got to do something with this damn degree, after all the trouble I went to getting the thing.

I'm off to the Highlands and Skye tomorrow for four days. It's a kind of 'This is what the job is...' trip with a company that gives backpacker tours around Scotland. I'm hoping that a job offer materialises at the end of it. At the very least I'll get a free trip to Skye.

Good luck, Bored.

Comment

Did you follow this...
                http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/becomingateacher/waysintoteaching/yourroute.aspx
                Yes and I am looking at the Bath Spa and Bath uni teaching course now.

I have set aside today (as Marley is late at an after-school club) and I have got this fucking headache. I don't know whether it developed before or after looking at the website. Either way, it isn't helping which is why I thought someone may give me an idiot's guide

My main question at the moment is whether I can get the £9000 "Golden Hello" by doing the teaching degree or do graduates only get that for the duration of their ITT (i think) course.

I could quite easily survive on £9000 a year for 4 years in order to get a teaching degree but £2-3000? not so much

Comment

I'd prefer my kids get teachers like yourself rather than some of the students I know from Teacher Colleges in Dublin.
                  Thank you, Nil, considering that you only know from the board, I can only takethat as a big vote of confidence or a sign of something disastrous afoot amongst Irish teachers.

There is a debate to be had about whether primary school teachers really do need a degree to teach. For instance, as Fuzzy mentions, there are some people who seem to get a degree and think later on, "Fuck it, I may as well teach. It will only take a year" (No offence intended FD) rather than think of teaching as a vocation

Having said that, the situation is that I will probably need a degree so I have to find a way of doing it without ridking my family going hungry or, at least, my Wales trips being curtailed

Comment

Good luck. The weird thing is, here in the US, I could have continued to teach at an university and ideally gotten hired permanently, only with a day-long training session when I became a TA in grad school as my training, but if I wanted to teach in a public school now, I would have to get a separate master's degree and take some qualifying exams. I specify public schools because, broadly speaking, private schools don't require any qualification.

Comment

Nothing too disastrous in Irish primary school teaching although I don't agree with the large amount of schools still controlled by religious orders. It's more to do with some of the student of Pat's College in Dublin that I know personally. They're all very smart but I'd prefer someone with more life experience than someone with three years college life behind them.

My aunt decided to try to become a teacher after her youngest had reached his teens. She left school when she was 12 which is pretty common for Irish adults in their fifties. She is now a teaching assistant but the only entry she could get in schools was secreterial. There is no way she can get a permanent job as a teacher without a degree. Personally I don't see why one is necessary if you have the ability to work and educate children.

Comment

I'm off to the Highlands and Skye tomorrow for four days. It's a kind of 'This is what the job is...' trip with a company that gives backpacker tours around Scotland. I'm hoping that a job offer materialises at the end of it. At the very least I'll get a free trip to Skye.
                        Right, details NOW ! Please...

Comment

Working...
                        X