• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking directly from a can

is not good, if you have a 'tache.

So there. Ouch.

Saves on washing up, mind.

Also has the fun element at house parties of seeing who accidentally takes a swig out of the can with all the fag butts in.

Comment

People always have scary stories about rats pissing on top of the crates, so it's unhygienic etc, but if it's beer we're talking, I always think it gets warm too quickly being poured into a glass, so I'm a straight-from-the-bottle/can person.

As a goatee-wearer, I've never had any painful experiences

Comment

I would only drink lager from a can in an absolute emergency.

Comment

I'm very much with wingco on this, and against Fliss. Beer's an aromatic drink, and you lose so much of that drinking from the bottle or can. I find I can't really taste anything but the bitterness until the very end of the glug.

And I don't really care it it gets warm. Good lager really shouldn't be aggressively chilled (a cool 9-10 Celsius is fine), but in Britain it usually is, so it's good to let it warm slightly in the glass.

Comment

Some beers of course, you'll want to be drinking out of the can lest you smell and taste them. Sometimes a guy's gotta get hammered as fast as possible, right bro?

Comment

Good lager really shouldn't be aggressively chilled...
              Oh good lord. There's nowt worse than tepid lager, whatever the quality.
              It should be served a sliver of a degree above freezing point.

but in Britain it usually is, so it's good to let it warm slightly in the glass
              Do what? Lager is usually server way too warm over here. These new "extra cold" pumps? That's what ALL lager should be like, not some sort of special thing.

There's nothing as joyous as a good bottle of lager (not necessarily Stella before anyone cracks on - I do drink other stuff) served from the freezer.

In the summer, I like to freeze the glass too, if I'm having a can.

Comment

If I'm drinking it out of a can, it's probably not very good beer and theres not much aromatics I'm missing.

Anyway, I'm sure the cans have less bacteria than your mouth. Aluminum especially when chilled isn't really a prime environment for microbes.

Comment

I agree with hobbes. Stouts and some ales are ruined if they're over-chilled, but lagers/pilsners are in my experience best served ice cold. I'm willing to be proved wrong on a case by case basis.

Comment

I'm very much with WE and wingco on this. One should avoid consuming food and drink directly from its packaging. That said, beer drunk from a bottle seems less outrageous than beer drunk from a can, for some reason.

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                      In the summer, I like to freeze the glass too, if I'm having a can.
                      And I hate that whole chilled/frozen mug business, too. Room temp is fine for a glass. Thick-walled mugs are just stupid.

Comment

Yeah, I don't generally ever drink beer from a can if I can possibly help it, although I don't mind so much drinking cheap lager from a bottle. It's always nicer from a glass, though.

On the subject of beer, I've been drinking a lot of this stuff lately, which is sold at £4 for 4 cans at a nearby shop, and it's really good stuff for the price.

Comment

Used to drink tons of DAB when I worked at Oddbins.
                          It was about 80p for a 500ml bottle.
                          And we got a discount on top.

Room temp is fine for a glass.
                          I'd agree if it didn't then make the beer warm so quickly.

Comment

Bruno wrote:
                            I agree with hobbes. Stouts and some ales are ruined if they're over-chilled, but lagers/pilsners are in my experience best served ice cold. I'm willing to be proved wrong on a case by case basis.
                            Taste and aroma are severely suppressed by harsh chilling, so with a good beer I don't favour it at all. And, well, I don't drink bad beer.

Comment

The sensation of a glug straight from a bottle (rats' piss notwithstanding) is great; from a can is not the same.

However, you can do a Silvester-Stallone-style crumple with a can, whereas it's more difficult with a bottle, and subject to glass shards in your fingers.

Comment

I was actually talking about Irn Bru, and it pulled some tissue, but as you were.

Lager should never be drunk if over 2 degrees C

Beer, blah di blah: if you are such a person who loves it with sticks and all, you dont complain about temperature, you complain about it not being sold in your local, which is why you buggered off to a beer festival in the first place.

Comment

Aroma is also hard to get from cans and bottles; you take your nose out of the game.

Comment

Also, the presence of sediment makes drinking real ale from the bottle a non-starter.

Drinking anything from the can is intrinsically uncool. I know it sounds a bit Liam Gallagher, but when I'm in a club, I like to have my drink in a bottle, so I can hold the neck between my middle and ring finger. Having a bottle of drink in a nightclub is like having a microphone for people who aren't in the band.

Comment

"When I'm in a club". Ha ha. Like that's happened any time in the last three years.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                        I'm very much with WE and wingco on this. One should avoid consuming food and drink directly from its packaging
                                        What about crisps? Do you always decant them into a wooden bowl?

Comment

Mumpo wrote:

What about crisps? Do you always decant them into a wooden bowl?
                                          Of course! Then crushed and snorted.

Comment

Oh, no. When I have people over we just pass the bag around and each take a handful. That way everyone gets grease up their forearm.

Of course I put them in a bowl. Preferably one of those long, thin olive dishes and arranged from largest to smallest.

Comment

Drinking from a can isn't a problem (although it doesn't flatter ales).

It's when you have to eat from a can that you need to worry - and when you have to eat dog food from the can, in particular.

Comment

Thing with a bag is that you can take more than you should, then go "whoops, sorry" ... but of course, you can't put them back in the bag (hygiene), so the only solution is to stuff them in yer gob ... whereas with any kind of bowl, this is much more difficult.

Comment

Get your own thread, Fillisteins.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X