Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

So I'm staying in this somewhat sketchy hotel in Boston for the next four days for a conference. My company is now insisting on cheap so whatever.

Anyway, my iPhone ran out of power, as they do. So as soon as I got into my hotel room I plugged in the charger and proceeded to try to charge it up. That was about four hours ago. No juice has apparently entered the iPhone. In fact, what little was in it when I started charging it is gone. I'm getting the display that says it's totally out of power but that it is plugged in and charging. But it's been like that for four hours and its not charging.

I just got this charger recently. It worked at home, but maybe it's defective. But why would the phone say it's charging and then not charge. WTF? Could there be something wrong with the power in this building? Everything else seems to work.

I'm going to stop by the Apple store on Boylston street tomorrow AM. Maybe buy a new charger.

Any thoughts?

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Can you try charging it via your laptop sync?

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

I forgot to bring that cable. This is my work computer and I don't have itunes on it.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Crap. I got nuthin'. Sorry Reed.

(Um...jiggle the cable?)

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Well, I'll take the close proximity of a massive Apple store as a positive. I can go there in the morning. I don't really need to be at the conference until 11.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Use that online appointment booking thing. It's great. Saves bags of time.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Thanks for that suggestion. I didn't know i could do that. I made an appointment for 8 am, but the store supposedly doesn't open until 9 am, so I'll just go in when it opens.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Your battery maybe defective. I'm having a similar problem with my cordless Electrolux--hours on the charger with no charging actually taking place (and it was working just fine a couple of weeks ago). My research seems to point to a dead battery.

Good luck.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Not sure if you meant you needed to have it installed, but I'd be suprised if you need itunes installed just to charge the device. The USB port will still be providing the same power output.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Try holding down the two buttons simultaneously - the round flat one beneath the main screen AND the smaller on-off one at the top -for at least 10 seconds-this sometimes reboots it successfully.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

I had the same problem in Venice earlier this year when I tried to charge my iPhone through a transformer. In the end I had to buy an Italian charger and will take that with me whenever I go abroad in Europe from now on. Is Boston like, you know a foreign country to you Reed?

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Not sure if you meant you needed to have it installed, but I'd be suprised if you need itunes installed just to charge the device.
                        You shouldn't. I charge my iPod all the time using my work computer. With a laptop, though, often the USB port won't provide power unless the laptop is plugged in at the mains.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

I didn't mean I needed iTunes to charge it. Just that I didn't bring the USB cable because I didn't expect to need to sync on this trip.

Well, now I have got one anyway. I went to the Apple store this morning. They determined that my off-brand charger didn't work, so I bought an official Apple one for $30. It doubles as a USB. I wasn't in a position to negotiate.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

You bought an off-brand iPhone charger?
                            Punk.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

I always bring my USB cable, because hotel rooms tend to be understocked with sockets and if you're bringing a laptop, and iPod and a DS or PSP, you usually have to choose which to charge.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

You like traveling light, it seems.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

Like I say, I get bored very easily. And you need more than a book on a 10+ hour flight.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

That's where us Type B folks excel. An ipod, and inflight magazine and a good starin' window and we're all set.

Comment

Urgent iPhone Problem!!

I just want to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                                      X