You Are The Headteacher...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...Lord M's comments about the HRC over on the Tebbitt thread got me thinking. What is OTF's reaction to the following scenario...

Imagine, if you will, a state funded RC comprehensive girls school in a London Borough, teaching girls between the ages of 11 and 16. Every year, prior to the GCSE's (or whatever they are called that particular year), the school holds a celebratory Mass, calling on The Lord to, inter alia, assist the girls in their exams but also to celebrate the great journey of life that these girls are about to undertake as they leave the school community and go to join the community at large. It's a wonderful life affirming occasion for all.

Now, imagine that one year, say this one, immediately subsequent to that Mass taking place it was to be followed by a funeral for someone not associated with the school. The Mass having taken place in a local church, not the school.

Now neither the Headteacher of the school nor the priest think it inappropriate that during the celebratory Mass, the deceased's coffin will be sitting in the middle of the aisle in plain view to all the girls rather than in a side chapel or somewhere more discreet.

So, OTF - You are the headteacher, who has been approached by a parent concerned that this juxtaposition of life and death may have a detrimental effect upon Portia's performance in her RE exam (or indeed any of her subsequent exams), which follows the Mass. How do you respond?

Yellow card the priest. Play continues from a dropped ball.

Comment

I'd say to the parent,if you want to take Portia or whatever her name is, out of the service, then you've got the right to do so, however we're still going to continue with the Mass and the coffin stays.
      But it says a lot about society's attitude to death, as if it's something that's unnatural, that someone would complain about this. It's because we are sanitised against the reality of our own mortality.

Comment

Open lid or closed? Because, honestly, I think staring at someone's dead gran during the 'good luck' prayers might be a bit upsetting to some, and certainly to a few 11 year-old girls. But so might a closed-lid coffin, too. It really does seem a bit indiscreet. But what would I say if I were one of the ones committing the indiscretion? Jeebus...I dunno.

Comment

Would not the family of the deceased find all this rather strange and intrusive, too?

Comment

I'd say it was a little insensitive to all concerned, having the coffin waiting in the midst of celebration and the celebration taking place around the coffin. I would also say that such a juxtaposition might help young Portia in her RE exam.

Comment

Not sure what to make of it, really, but perhaps it might be worth reflecting on a comment that I saw whilst skimming a Guardian Saturday magazine feature on a diverse bunch of undertakers a few months back, which explored why the individuals had chosen their metier etc.

The writer drew attention to the remarkable contrast between our age and the Victorian era as regards sex and death. In the Victorian era death was all around in the midst of life and not at all hidden away, whilst sex was a massively taboo subject. In our era/society it seems to be more or less exactly the opposite.

I suppose the point is, our modus operandi seems to be to live in denial of death, rather than to accommodate it in our philosophy.

Comment

The Victorians certainly made death an everyday part of their lives, that's true enough. However, whilst not wanting to deny death, I personally find it a tad insensitive to the girls and as the wingco says perhaps to the deceased's family.

Comment

The best thing to do would be to explain to the girls that God almost definitely doesn't exist, and that if he/she does in fact exist then he/she likely has far more pressing things to do than intervene in their GCSE results, and thus a more fruitful way for them to improve their chances of good grades would be for them to spend the time allocated for the mass doing some studying instead.

Comment

"There's probably no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your exam."

Comment

Why is the State supporting a Roman Catholic school? That would be my first objection.

Comment

It's a trade off, to compensate for the fact that Catholics are barred from succeeding to the throne.

Comment

Speaking as someone who is currently sat in an all girls Roman Catholic school (I work here by the way - I haven't just broken in), I'm pretty sure that none of our girls would be freaked out by it. They'd just assume it was the Head's way of reminding them that, if the GCSE results don't push them up the league tables, they're next in the casket.

Comment

Reed - it's certainly my first objection. However, we have a bizarre system here whereby faith based schools are allowed to claim State funding. I personally find it appalling but there we are.

I think it's on the basis of equality. If CofE schools get state funding, that being the State religion then it's been decided that all faiths should be entitled to state funding if they can show enough support in any catchment area.

My view is if you want to discriminate on grounds of faith insofar as entry is concerned, go right ahead but then don't expect me to consent to my taxes to be used to fund your bigotry...

Comment

As a Christian who is a foundation (ie appointed by the Church) governor at my son't CofE school, I am more critical of faith schools than you possibly would imagine.

Firstly, I do feel that, if you are going to send your child to a church school, you kind of have to go along with any loopiness that goes along with having your children in that faith school as opposed to a community school.

On the other hand, open casket funerals are horrible and I say this as someone not squeamish about death.

Broadly though, completely secular comprehensive education should go some way to sorting this sort of thing out

Comment

Surely.

Something.

Could.

Be.

Done.

To.

Not.

Have.

A.

Pep.

Rally.

With.

A.

Corpse.

Comment

There certainly appears to be a scheduling error here

Comment

Working...
                                  X