'Re-genderising' names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Re-genderising' names

Yeah, as blameless says, Sandy's a very common boy's name in Scotland, as a cursory read of a few Broons or Oor Wullie cartoons could testify to. I have an Uncle Sandy, in fact.

Comment

'Re-genderising' names

Me too (although his full given name is Andrew, rather than Alexander).

Comment

'Re-genderising' names

I think it's pretty common in the deep south for girls to have a family surname for a first name; I've seen some from Mississippi and Alabama with the first name Collins, Ross, Grafton, Alden, Smith, Madden, Carleton, Tillery, and Vaughn. I just wonder how much of the Boy Named Sue life they experience or not.

That's an ulster protestant thing. The deep south is full of the descendants of the paranoid, inbred flat-earthers that emigrated in the 18th century.

Comment

'Re-genderising' names

The Ulster Protestant surnames-as-Christian-names thing is more boys, though, isn't it? I can't think of a single female example.

Comment

'Re-genderising' names

The famous Lawson clan has been mentioned a bit here, and I know I mentioned the full horror before, but it's worth another roll call.

Father - Nigel
            Mother - Dominique
            Son - Dominic
            Daughter - Nigella

Comment

'Re-genderising' names

Here's a new one: Della, daughter of Dell Inc.

Comment

'Re-genderising' names

From Alasdair Gray's The Ends of Our Tethers, which I was reading just this evening;

Then hears a rustling of leaves. The other girl has returned and stands watching him. He ignores her until she says, "I didnae really go away. I was listening all the timebehind that bush."
                "Mm."
                "I don't think you're weird. Not dangerous-weird. You're just funny."
                "Name?" he asks drearily.
                "Davida."
                "I thought the Scottish custom of making daughters' names out of fathers' names had died out."
                "It came back. What's your name?"
                "I'm giving nothing else away today Davida. Don't expect it."

Comment

'Re-genderising' names

Princess Michael of Kent.

The Purple Cow wrote:
                  'Rans' - pronounced as in rancid.
                  You obviously have fond memories of her. My Argentine ex is called Noelia. Much prettier name than the male version, I reckon.

It took me about five minutes to stop laughing at Barry White's daughter's name, by the way. That is truly magnificent. Wikipedia sadly doesn't confirm whether it's true or not, but does reveal the unexpected gem that 'Barry' in Mr. White's case is short for Barrence.

Comment

'Re-genderising' names

No-one mentioned Davina yet? And no, not HER from BB. I mean the racing driver of ... years ago (Davina Galiza or summit).

And isnt Ina, a version of Ian, which is a Gallic/Gaelic John?

Comment

'Re-genderising' names

Davina's just a bastardisation of Dafina, which the Slavic version of Daphne.

Comment

'Re-genderising' names

sw2boro wrote:
                        The famous Lawson clan has been mentioned a bit here, and I know I mentioned the full horror before, but it's worth another roll call.

Father - Nigel
                        Mother - Dominique
                        Son - Dominic
                        Daughter - Nigella
                        There's also a grand-daughter, Domenica.

As a teenager, Dominic lived with his mother and stepfather, the philosopher Freddie Ayer. They didn't get on, as Dom didn't share Fred's two main hobbies- shagging his students and watching Spurs.

The Mighty Kubelgog!!! wrote:
                        That's an ulster protestant thing. The deep south is full of the descendants of the paranoid, inbred flat-earthers that emigrated in the 18th century
                        As opposed to the Munster Catholic thing, entire villages of the same surname in the 21st century.

Comment

Working...
                        X