X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millions of bored kids on vacation, living a lie

Four Corners marker off by 2.5 miles.

The whole concept of the 'Four Corners marker' seems pretty wrong to me, to be honest.

Comment

But, because of surveying errors, the popular tourist spot actually is just a bit off.

The accurate location would be downhill to the east of U.S. 160 in Colorado and northeast of the San Juan River as it flows into New Mexico.

"That's a long ways to be off," said David Bronson, surveyor of San Juan County, Utah.

Still, he said the monument's present location is the accepted one.
      So, hang on, what are they saying? Where are the legal state boundaries? If it's off, surely that means the marker is actually in one particular state. Which one? And what do they mean by saying it's accepted? By the public, or by the law?

Comment

the Four Corners marker showing the intersection of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah is about 1,807 feet west of where it should be have been placed in 1875.

It's not the only thing that's off the mark.

Comment

And what do they mean by saying it's accepted? By the public, or by the law?
          I'm guessing by the public, since that's where the parking lot is.

Thankfully my parents never dragged me to Four Corners.

Comment

God, what a shit holiday that would be.

Amusing place to commit a crime, though, and watch the jurisdictions try to palm it off on each other.

Comment

It doesn't look as much fun as the Three Shire Stone.

Incidentally, when Andy C is next on, shall we ask him why he was doing press-ups?

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
                The whole concept of the 'Four Corners marker' seems pretty wrong to me, to be honest.

Maybe when they get round to marking the new four corners, they could do it right by marking it with red, blue, green and yellow dots on a white background, and having a great big pinwheel next to it.

"Put your left leg on Utah!", etc.

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
                  I'm frankly surprised we never went there, though, since we did lots of road trips through Arizona and New Mexico. I guess we never went because it's out of the way of places we were going to, and probably because my mom would not want to say that she's been to Utah.

Comment

That area's got a ton of amazing national parks, though. I'm pretty sure my parents took me to Four Corners when we went to Zion, Bryce and Arches. I can kind of understand not wanting to go to Utah, but you'd be missing out on some of the most beautiful landscapes in America.

Comment

Yeah, I went to Arches and Zion a few years ago and they're just stunning.

Comment

I know, GY...I still haven't been to any of those places, unfortunately.

Comment

I used to get taken to Boxhill in Surrey when I was a kid. My parents told me over and over again, in tones of increasing excitement, how amazing it was that I could see five English counties from where I was standing. If only they'd have heard of this Four Corners place, then they might have taken me to America instead, and I could have found out what Twinkies were.

Comment

My family did a big trip out west when I was 10. We spent about 20 minutes at the four corners monument. That is - at least so I thought - the only time I've ever been in Utah.

I wouldn't drive all the way from LA (or anywhere) to see the four corners monument, but that area has a lot to recommend -National Parks, etc. Durango is a cool little town. I did some fishing down around that area in Colorado and New Mexico a few years ago and had a fantastic time.

I've stood in Canada and the US simultaneously. There's a remote part of the border in the Boundary Waters. A portage runs right along the border. There's a little monument marker thingy. I also managed to piss from one country into the other.

Comment

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
                              I've stood in Canada and the US simultaneously. There's a remote part of the border in the Boundary Waters. A portage runs right along the border. There's a little monument marker thingy. I also managed to piss from one country into the other.
                              Ahem.

Which side of the border were you standing on at the time, might I ask?

Comment

I did both, to be fair.

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
                                  As one who lives fairly close to the four corners it is not all that bad. The scenery is beautiful, the weather pleasant, and the area is never that crowded. However, if your vacation requires fancy hotels, restaurants and good-sized towns, then the four corners area would be torture.

A few years ago were camping in Colorado and detoured to check out the 4-corners monument - once we saw the RIP-OFF prices we went back home.

Amusing place to commit a crime, though, and watch the jurisdictions try to palm it off on each other.
                                  Yes, the spin control from the Navajo Nation justifying its position should be interesting.

Comment

Cal Alamein wrote:
                                    As one who lives fairly close to the four corners it is not all that bad.
                                    I'm not slagging off the area, I'm slagging off the kind of holiday in which going to the Four Corners counts as a grand day out. It reminded me of Bill Bryson's accounts of family vacations with his Dad.

Comment

Point taken.

Unless you were camping or planning to hit Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, or the national parks in Utah, a drive for the specific intent of going to the four corners would be a dull journey for a young person -- and worthy of a Bryson-like entry (however his penny-pinching old man would have fainted at the prices).

Comment

Do people actually do that, though? Given that there are lots of amazing free-ish holiday destinations nearby, isn't it more likely that people stop there on their way to somewhere else?

Comment

Working...
                                        X