• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Tom Jones really Welsh?

http://tomjonesinternational.com/wp-...lsh-anthem.mov

his 'version' of the welsh anthem at the fight last night was hilarious

That's a bit of a Redwooding, isn't it? I think he actually mentions Blackburn in the opening line.

Comment

Hmmm, most people I was at school with would struggle to give more than a loose phonetic approximation or (on paper) a badly-spelt effort with a lot of gaps.

Mind you, Tom Jones is an icon of Welshness who must surely have been called upon to sing this on numerous occasions, so you'd expect him to make a better fist of it...

Comment

"Gwlad beirdd a chantorion" is the bit he really makes a mess of - quite ironic really!

Comment

I can't remember what the programme was (Louis Theroux?) but didn't someone once interview a US black nationalist who insisted that Tom Jones was actually black?

I don't think his theory was based on anything as solid as the history of immigration in Cardiff or whatever; just that he had a really good voice so he must be black.

Comment

(Not that that has any bearing on his Welshness or otherwise, I'm just saying.)

Comment

much more interesting is the number of black americans with welsh names

Comment

Are there more than have Scottish surnames, relative to the respective populations of the older nations?

Comment

I realise that I am getting into "He has a natural sense of rhythm" territory here but he has always had, how should I put this, very tight curly black hair.

Oh, fuck it, Tom has always had a 'fro. I was trying to find a picture of him fully 'froed up in the 60s but couldn't so here is a pic of him and Rick Rubin

Apropos of nothing, like

Comment

I don't think his theory was based on anything as solid as the history of immigration in Cardiff or whatever; just that he had a really good voice so he must be black.
                    Even the history of immigration in Cardiff would have been a red herring as Tom is from Pontypridd which is only 10-15 miles up the road but, once you get away from very multi-cultural Cardiff, there is a fairly sharp drop-off in non-white faces that you see.

On the other hand, Elvis' family came from the Preseli mountains

Comment

He could have moved, though, or got a cab. I'm just saying that the nationalist guy didn't have a clue about Wales, Tom Jones, or reality.

The "natural sense of rhythm" theory has been thoroughly discredited by the following clip:

Tom jones dances like HELL!

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                        Hmmm, most people I was at school with would struggle to give more than a loose phonetic approximation or (on paper) a badly-spelt effort with a lot of gaps.

Mind you, Tom Jones is an icon of Welshness who must surely have been called upon to sing this on numerous occasions, so you'd expect him to make a better fist of it...
                        Weren't you at School in England?

Comment

Bored Of The Dance wrote:
                          once you get away from very multi-cultural Cardiff, there is a fairly sharp drop-off in non-white faces that you see.
                          Especially since the decline of the mining industry. Ha, ha.

Ooo, that looks just like my coat...

Comment

Chippy wrote:
                            Spearmint Rhino wrote:

Weren't you at School in England?
                            For two years, yes. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about Romilly Infants, Romilly Juniors and Barry Boys'.

Comment

Bored Of The Dance wrote:
                              I realise that I am getting into "He has a natural sense of rhythm" territory here but he has always had, how should I put this, very tight curly black hair.

Oh, fuck it, Tom has always had a 'fro.
                              That "always" assumes Tom's current hair is all his own.

Comment

I was thinking more of the 'fros he had in the 60s

I assume the current model is supposed to approximate a version of that for continuity reasons.

Comment

To be honest, he did better than I expected. Any credibility went out of the window when he sang GSTQ for Hatton though.

Comment

Working...
                                  X