X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOM
    replied
    Kids today...

I wish I had a good anecdote to support it, but I think 'kids today' suffer from a lack of general knowledge. They're good students and all, but I'm amazed at how many of them have no clue about stuff that I just figured you picked up and knew, FFS. Like when WWII was fought, or what the world's population is.
    When I was teaching college a few years back, one girl said something about "... a billion Americans", and I threw it open to the class to give me a rough idea of the population of the US. Then I asked about the population of Canada. Then I asked a bunch of general stuff like "When was Woodstock?" and "When was WWII?" and "How long has the Queen been the Queen?". I think I went off on a bit of a tangent, but I was amazed at how many 21 year-old kids didn't know jack about, you know, stuff. I dunno. I can't help thinking that my dad would have slapped me in the neck for not knowing when WWII was.

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    started a topic Kids today...

Kids today...

Are they really this stupid, or is this an anomaly? My friend, who is over sixty years old (which will be pertinent to the story in a second), was giving a lift somewhere to a 17-year old kids she knows. The conversation went something like this:

Kid: Are you going to see the Pope?

Ellen: (somewhat nonplussed) Why would I? (she's Jewish)

Kid: Well, he's the head of a major religion and Judaism is a major religion...

~silence~

Ellen: Do you know where you want to go to college?

Kid: Not yet, but I've been doing some research on a couple. What website did you use to find the one you went to?

Ellen: (too dumbfounded to speak)
Working...
X