Tea time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea time

OK, she told me the other day that they used to do something, I can’t remember what. Not because I didn’t care when she told me, simply one of those moments when I registered and appreciated everything she was saying, but rather than allowing, say, the first verse of Iron Maiden’s Number of the Beast to be erased in my memory bank, I let hers slide out the door.
    Don’t let her know that I had a hard time remembering what important thing it was in life. You know how women are. Even if they are the fire of utmost desire and you’re a swooning moth around it, even if you remember most of it, as soon as you don’t remember one, they’ll gather you don’t truly appreciate them. So, hush about this, OK!?

Where the feck was I?

Oh, tea time. She mentioned tea time.
    So you really are all a bunch of hobbits over in UK?
    What the hell is tea time?
    Is it siesta without a snore?
    What, exactly, do you do at tea time, change into cricket white and sip with a pinky up towards the Lord's clouds, you Gatsby gang!?

Tea time

ganja wrote:
    OK, she told me the other day that they used to do something, I can’t remember what. Not because I didn’t care when she told me, simply one of those moments when I registered and appreciated everything she was saying, but rather than allowing, say, the first verse of Iron Maiden’s Number of the Beast to be erased in my memory bank, I let hers slide out the door.
    Don’t let her know that I had a hard time remembering what important thing it was in life. You know how women are. Even if they are the fire of utmost desire and you’re a swooning moth around it, even if you remember most of it, as soon as you don’t remember one, they’ll gather you don’t truly appreciate them. So, hush about this, OK!?

Where the feck was I?

Oh, tea time. She mentioned tea time.
    So you really are all a bunch of hobbits over in UK?
    What the hell is tea time?
    Is it siesta without a snore?
    What, exactly, do you do at tea time, change into cricket white and sip with a pinky up towards the Lord's clouds, you Gatsby gang!?
    I can feel attempts at civilising you coming on. Hopefully they will manage it before your missus arrives for the weekend. Sh'll be impressed when you serve her 'tea'

Comment

Tea time

You can't go wrong with a bit of Lady Grey and a nice bit of cake.

It was during teatime that Wycliffe hit upon the idea of the Bible in English, Vaughan Williams composed the Lark Ascending and the rules of cricket were formulated.

A nice bit of cake, yesterday.

Comment

Tea time

What is this "ganja determined to start OTF class war"?

Tea is what you eat at 6 o'clock in the evening.

Dinner is a main meal in the middle of the day, Usually you onlt have it on Sunday or at Christmas. Lunch is the same meal if it just a sandwich or an omelette.

Breakfast is just the first meal of the day unless it is an all-day breakfast and that can only be fried.

Brunch has died a death and even elevenses is more current.

Tea and cake is just that.

Ignore anything Eggchaser says on the subject

Comment

Tea time

OK, what's tea and what is not?
          She told me she likes fruit tea.
          That's kiwi or pineapple/banana flavour shite

Comment

Tea time

Fruit tea isn't tea, it's an infusion

Comment

Tea time

Bored of All the Beasts wrote:
              What is this "ganja determined to start OTF class war"?

Tea is what you eat at 6 o'clock in the evening.

Dinner is a main meal in the middle of the day, Usually you onlt have it on Sunday or at Christmas. Lunch is the same meal if it just a sandwich or an omelette.

Breakfast is just the first meal of the day unless it is an all-day breakfast and that can only be fried.

Brunch has died a death and even elevenses is more current.

Tea and cake is just that.

Ignore anything Eggchaser says on the subject
              Ah now, being raised for the first 14 years of my life, in the North West of England, it was said: 'Breakfast, dinner and tea'

However, since being abroad. I have called 'tea' dinner.

Comment

Tea time

Bored of All the Beasts wrote:
                Fruit tea isn't tea, it's an infusion
                In Austria, we call it fruit tea. However, you are correct, it is very much that.

Comment

Tea time

Here we go, people showing their prole roots when they call lunch dinner and dinner tea.

It's breakfast, morning tea, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, heavy drinking session, bed.

Comment

Tea time

Eggchaser wrote:
                    Here we go, people showing their prole roots when they call lunch dinner and dinner tea.

It's breakfast, morning tea, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, heavy drinking session, bed.
                    You forgot brunch, sheesh! And shagging.

Comment

Tea time

Eggchaser wrote:

BED? Bed's for sleepy people! Let's get a kebab and go to a disco!

Comment

Tea time

Eggchaser wrote:

What about supper? Doesn't that come into it somewhere?

And am I shirts or skins in the coming class war if I have Breakfast, Lunch and Tea?

Comment

Tea time

I'm back from my lunch break, but I ate dinner during it. Does that qualify me to be a rebel?

Comment

Tea time

Or a rebel pebble?
                            (You're hair is a mess)

Comment

Tea time

So is that apostrophe.

(Sorry!)

Comment

Tea time

What about supper? Doesn't that come into it somewhere?
                                Supper is maybe a sandwich or something 'twixt tea and bed

And am I shirts or skins in the coming class war if I have Breakfast, Lunch and Tea?
                                You are fine with that as long as tea is eaten with a slab of heavily buttered white bread and tea made so strong that the spoon stands up in the midlle from a pot. Lunch is fine as long as the sandwiches involved still have their crusts on

Comment

Tea time

Supper was something that happened to other people.

Comment

Tea time

You are probably right there.

Comment

Tea time

You're all wrong.

Dinner means dinner, except when it's used to mean lunch. Which means that dinner is lunch except when it's used to mean tea. Dinner is never supper but supper could be tea.
                                      Brunch is clear, though I don't partake.
                                      Breakfast employs no ambiguity.

There was a discussion on Radio 4 around the origins of lunch & dinner, repeated recently. One of the points I recall was that dinner was the meal during the middle of the day, but the fashion in the later 19th century was to eat this increasingly late so it got pushed back from midday-ish to around 5-6 o'clock. This was relatively painless for the sedentary lifestyles of the upper classes, but for those working the fields it wasn't feasible, hence a discrepancy arose between the times at which people ate their dinner and as dinner got pushed ever later a desire arose for a light something to be had around midday to prevent faint headedness.

Comment

Tea time

Et, voila!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyo...unchClub.shtml

Comment

Working...
                                        X