Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TEFL advice - appeal to OTF collective wisdom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son has just finished a CELTA course and is now looking for his first job, preferably in Spain or Portugal, though he's happy to consider anywhere else.

He's comparatively young (20) and has just dropped out of a University Linguistics course which didn't suit him. He's thinking about going back to University in 18 months time.

He's travelled through South America and has some Spanish- he is ultimately keen to go back to Buenos Aires for a year.

He's sending off CV's and applying online but I wondered if the OTF Collective wisdom has any useful tips that I could pass on to him.

Try www.tefl.com - there are a wide range of jobs from many countries available there. Your son can upload his online resume and send off applications with a click. Some places are recruiting for 2009-10 (typically more exotic places recruit first).

If he's thinking of doing a year TEFLing in Europe, he shouldn't physically go to, say, Spain, now, but wait until the start of September when schools are opening up again after the summer holidays. Book himself into a cheap hotel in whatever city he wants to go to and bring plenty of money and copies of his CV to go round to all the schools with. For Spain, naturally enough, Madrid or Barcelona would be your best bet, jobswise, unless he has his heart set on another city.

If I can plug my school, International House, there is a recruitment site here. There are tonnes of branches around Spain who will be recruiting CELTA 'graduates' sooner or later for 2009-10.

Comment

One thing which would be useful is to work in a summer school in the UK for 6 weeks in July/August. This would be a good taster in terms of TEFL work experience, lesson planning, handling teenagers etc. Conditions vary amongst the schools, and they generally have very long hours, involvement with activities, sports and trips etc, which may or may not be to your son'r preference, but they can be good fun for a newbie. It will also look good on his CV if he decides to go to Spain etc in September.

There are millions of summer schools who will be advertising on tefl.com, so take your pick in terms of location and salary. I used to work for St. Bede's International Summer school, and they have reasonable pedagogical standards, so it'd be a good move TEFL-wise.

Comment

Thanks very much, lodz. I have passed that on.

Comment

I work as a teacher of English as a foreign language and this gentleman has advised is great.

We have openings for our language school in the summer, many international schools do.

TEFL.com is a great way to find a job, however, it might be better to approach the schools directly.

I hope he finds something, I'm certain he will, something that our school struggles with during the summer.

Comment

Thanks for that too.

Are you in Austria, Sommer?

Comment

nefertiti wrote:
              Thanks for that too.

Are you in Austria, Sommer?
              I am.

Comment

pm to follow

Comment

Working...
                X