Prague Beer Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prague Beer Guide

I have booked up to go to Prague later in the year, and am currently looking at a drinks menu on a website.

It says:
    Pivo - Bier - Beer
    0,5 l Budvar 12° - světlý ležák 33,-
    0,5 l Budvar 12° - tmavý ležák 33,-
    0,3 l Budvar 12% 20,-

Am I right in thinking that the Budvar is 12%ABV? And if so, Whatthefuck? I will need to prebook a stretcher.

Prague Beer Guide

That can't be ABV, plain Budvar is about 5%. It might be Balling degrees, which is more popular on the Continent as a way to indicate the strenght of a beer(a famous German beer, EKU 28, always induced in error some people who ordered it in my local beer heaven in Geneva, thinking that by 28 deg it means 28 ABV. In fact, it was a rather strong beer but "only" 12% ABV)

Unless it's some type of strong Budvar that is not familiar to us in the UK. Try their dark lager whilst you are at it.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

they've got the Budva dark lager at our local waitrose at the moment. Most enjoyable.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

Thanks peeps.

After further reading on another site, yes, its 'Balling'.

And I remember drinking that EKU in the Devil's Elbow in Glasgow. Horrible stuff, tasted ike strawberry jam.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

So, you want some advice...?

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

Red Budvar at 5% ABV is the export strength version. They also do (or did last time I was there) a blue labelled version which at 4% is a bit less satisfying but better for a lengthy session.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

There's 200 "degrees" on the proof scale when it comes to alcohol, aren't there? So 20 "degrees" would be 10% ABV. 12 degrees would be 6%, about the same as Stella or Strongbow.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

No, it's not proof, it's Balling, which is a measure of original gravity. The translation to ABV depends on the degree of attenuation, but as PG says, 12-degree Czech beers tend to weigh in at about 5% ABV.

I could bore for England on Central European beer, but I'll restrict myself to saying "Try Krusovice".

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

Budvar Dark is nice.

Seconded on the Krusovice.

Gambrinus is lush.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

Does velckopopovicky kozel register on the decent central european beer scale? It's only 3.8% and the dark version is a bit sweet, but it's fairly ubiquitous in Finland. The blond one you get on the sweden ferries is the 'upmarket' beer option for people just too darn classy to disembark carrying 96 cans of Karhu. I will probably be buying some this week.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

scary logo that karhu

apols for stupid image size

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

Karhu means 'bear' in Finnish. It's usually the cheapest beer in the shop, and it used to be the only one made in Finland. It's pigswill.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

Does 'Pantti-Pant €0.15' mean you get a deposit back, or is it some filthy code that I would rather not know about? (oh go on then.)

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

prague is horrible. stag night central, rip off central (i got ripped off in subway!!) i was asked about 50
                            times if i wanted to see a sex show

i love the czech republic though

brono great, that city. České Budějovice (which i have just googled, great place and krumlov nearby)

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

I am fairly sure I wont come across too many stag parties. (Cant actually rephrase that much better)

What I usually do is wander, look, sit to eat and watch, wander some more, siesta, eat, then wander and beer. Works pretty much everywhere I go.

I picked Prague, because for me, its different: weird looking language, non-euro money and I have visions of meeting some hairy faced old bouncing Czech and living happily ever after (no, not seriously). Failing that I get to see the castle and the Strahov stadium which I had a major fixation about when younger. And it gets me out of my 'Western Europe' 'comfort' zone.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

Head uphill from the castle and you get to the Strahov monastery (I think it's also the national library). Through the gates on the left is another courtyard with the best pub in town IMO. Good beer (about 8p a pint), good food and quiet. Well it was in November 2001 anyway! The monastery also has a restaurant called Hell! that was quite expensive if I remember correctly.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

Yes, pantti = "deposit". And BAN's right, despite the severely stiff competition, it's by far the worst Finnish beer.

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

Does velckopopovicky kozel register on the decent central european beer scale? It's only 3.8%...
                                    Definitely: lovely stuff. And it's 5% in the Czech Republic (or they also do one at around 4.2, I think: it's standard there to have versions in 12 degrees and 10 degrees Balling).

Comment

Prague Beer Guide

I also noticed a Budvar available at about 8% ABV which I will probably try immediately before I go back to the hotel, as the bar in question is immediately around the corner, and it wont be too far too stagger.

Comment

Working...
                                      X