Has PPV joined yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has PPV joined yet.

Not as ridiculous as Basque with the Xs and Zs.

It makes Hungarian and Welsh look straightforward

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

Valencià, you Catalan imperialist bastards.

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

Are you feeling all right? I sense some sort of split personality...

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

Actually, that is pretty much word for word what I was told when I first mistook Valenciana for Catalan.

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

No, go on, it's the same isn't it?

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

The Valencian nationalists insist that it isn't, and I've never felt like challenging their assertions in this respect (as in my experience they tend to be made while brandishing a wine bottle).

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

I thought Wyatt was just being obstreperous. Now I see that a few days in the countryside has turned him into a fierce linguistic partisan of a dialect that may only exist in the minds of bottle-wielding Iberians.

Well, you learn something every day.

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

I don't think there's a serious linguist in the world who thinks Valencià is a separate language from Catalan, but as ua says, that doesn't stop certain Valencian nationalists from saying so. In accent, it does sound a good deal less French and (whisper it) closer to Castilian.

I once withdrew cash from a machine in somewhere like Gata de Gorgos that offered transactions in Français, English, Deutsch, Castellano, Euskara, Galego, Català, Valencià and Balear. Which I think you have to say is a bit mental.

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

And I bet they got letters from cross Minorcans demanding that Menorquí be listed separately from Mallorquí.

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

In a mood of very drunken nationalism, I changed my ATM language to Welsh.

Upon sobering up and returning to a Welsh ATM a month later, I was absolutely fucked. Of course, it being Cardiff, I couldn't find anyone to translate for me.

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

A "Heh" for Bored.

Three weeks ago, I stopped at a gas station in backwoods Ohio (south of Cleveland) on the way to watch a farce of a TFC match against Columbus. For reasons I cannot even begin to explain, the ATM was offering services in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Polish, and two other languages. I went with Polish - because, what the hell, how often do you get an ATM like this in the rural midwest? - didn't understand a word, but the button seuqence works the same, so I got my money.

Wyatt, what's Galego?

Comment

Has PPV joined yet.

"Gallego" in Castilian: the language of Galicia in the Northwest. A bit like Portuguese. "Rias Baixas" is about the only phrase I know in it, off of the wine bottles.

Comment

Working...
                          X