Men who never dive with their watches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You dive maybe once every fifth year, or have dived once in your life, and decide a watch the size of a barrel organ is an important investment to be made?

When you ask these Flavor Flav wanna-be people who wear these huge dive watches, about the time, you can tell that they need a few seconds to sort out which two of all the twenty three hands swirling about and cluster of digits they should focus on as to get the time, as opposed to the current depth they’re at, what longitude they’re stood on, or whatever the sod is swirling about.

Did you have that trend as well over where you live, during the early 90’s, I think it was, when almost every bloke was buying himself a dive watch? And you’d hear them talk how deep into the sea you could take the mothershagging thing? And it was mostly people who never dived, at all, ever?

I qualified as a scuba diver a year or two ago and I have a carp watch that doesn't even have the right date. It's pollocks

I always assume that someone else will have the time on the down there. (Aargh, can't find right fish/time/watch pun, head will explode)

Comment

The best time for diving is half past tench.

Comment

My wife's diver's watch has a picture of Moby Dick on it. She has a whale of a time whenever she looks at it.

Comment

Comment

I totally agree with you Ganja. Most people just need to know the time. And why would you need anything more complicated than this...

Comment

Heres my dream watch.

But watches are a form of jewelry more than actual timepieces nowadays. Even the cheapest cellphone is accurate enough.

I actually should get a watch though, perhaps I wouldn't be rushing/late all the time if I did wear one.

Comment

There's no point to watches now. Everyone's cell phone has the accurate time on it.

Comment

True, but you're talking here to someone who's dowloaded an 'analogue' clock to go on my computer desktop. If you added clear simple numbers to the above watches that'd be me very happy. I don't like watches without numbers. I view a watch with the date as a bit over-encumbered with features.

Comment

Mine's got the 12 and 6 marked, with dashes for the other hours. Is that OK?

Annoyingly I can't wear it on my wrist due to the leather strap having snapped and then the watch having been dropped on the floor during the subsequent period of having to keep it in my pocket - as a result the digits of the '12' came detached and now sit (normally fairly neatly) at the bottom of the watchface. It happened before when it was under warranty but getting it fixed this time, combined with a new strap that actually fits (the shape of the case is slightly odd so it's Rotary straps only) would cost around the same as just buying a new one. And since I'm planning to be moving out to Buenos Aires in just under a year, I'm loath to spend a significant amount of money on a watch now.

Comment

My watch:

-

-

£4.89, from Argos.

It's great - tells the time accurately and clearly. If it gets lost, knackered or the battery starts to go (usually after 18 months) you simply buy another one! It's cheaper than a replacement battery.

Comment

I think Rogin deserves applause up-thread for that picture...

Having a watch is more convenient than rustling in my pockets for my phone and unlocking the keyboard to see the time.

So yeah I have a Tag Hauer diving watch - it never needs winding up (unlike some on this board) or batteries

Comment

Is this one of those tribute threads?

Comment

Yeah, I've been looking for "Men who never drive with their bitches" or something.

Comment

Watches. What's the point?

Comment

I have just this minute got Rogin's photo-joke.

Fucking hell I feel stupid.

Comment

You might need those watches to go to dive bars?

But yeah, those big watches are ugly and useless. I've been wearing the same black Swatch for the past two decades, changing the rubber band and polishing off the plastic face every few years (it's kind of miraculous how they can take all the scratches out.)

Comment

Every time I try to reach for my mobile I have to check one hundred pockets. If I manage to answer it at all is only because I follow the tone. At home it's even worse.

I'd feel naked without my watch. My instinctive move when I want to check the time is to look at my wrist, even when I'm not wearing a watch.

Comment

How many pockets could you possibly have among the items of clothing you're wearing at once? Besides, if you only ever keep your phone in the same pocket, you don't have that problem.

With a watch, I feel like my wrist is being weighed down. Some watch bands pull out the hair on my wrist, and I feel like I have to be extra careful so that I don't accidentally bang the face against the table so it doesn't get scratched.

Comment

I've got really into having a watch again recently, mostly because it's this watch:

And I've got another one with the cover of the debut. £8 each from eBay. If they both break, I'm going to get one of these:

I keep my phone in my bag, see.

Comment

I'd been wearing a watch for 20-odd years before I owned a phone, and I see no need to change now. Besides, the battery in my watch lasts a hell of a lot better than the battery in my phone.

But yes, massive chunky watches are daft. As are those watches where the strap is wider than the watch itself.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                                            With a watch, I feel like my wrist is being weighed down.
                                            You need some weight training now.

Besides, a gentleman worthy of that name always wears a watch.

Standards, young man.

Comment

I have a couple of nice-ish watches that are a bit broken. If I got one or t'other, or both, fixed, I would probably wear a watch.

I'm glad other people wear watches, as I can tell the time by theirs rather than having to get my phone out.

Comment

If I put on my coat I've got 7 or 8 pockets in which to misplace my phone. If I put it in the mobile pocket in my jacket it takes me ages to get it out with my sausage-like fingers, and, in any case, if I keep it in my jacket I have to unbotton my coat to reach for it, which is a pain.

Comment

I wear a watch, but it's hardly a hardship if I don't. It's tough to imagine a place where you couldn't get the time within ten seconds from some kind of publicly accessible clock. On my desk, the phone has it, my Mac has it, and my mobile has it. It's in my car. On the subway platform. When I'm riding, and can't get my sleeve up to see my watch, I look into other people's cars to see their car's clock or their watch.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X