Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you go about finding a counsellor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are so many places on the web that give advice it's hard to know where to start and who to trust. Hoping to get some help from personal experience rather than google, especially choosing a counselling method/person who's going to work me.

Sorry I know this is vague request but I don't want to go into the reasons why.

Your GP should be able to provide you with information on all the different counselling services available in your area.

Comment

My dad is a bereavement counsellor with Cruse. From what he's told me, I think they are very good - and pretty flexible on letting people choose who their counsellor is. If your issue is not related to bereavement, then I can't help you I'm afraid.

Comment

I'm not sure how much other people who don't know you can help in choosing what might work for you in circumstances they know nothing about.

But for what it's worth, I'm currently doing some group CBT, through my GP, provided by the Psycholgical Therapies unit at my local PCT. Having been to one session so far, I think it might come in handy.

Comment

Raskolnikov wrote:
          Your GP should be able to provide you with information on all the different counselling services available in your area.
          This. Your GP should also be able to organise some sessions free on the NHS, should you so desire.

Comment

What he said. When I went, I was referred by my GP, which meant a referral number so that it would be billed under our government plan.

To have gone on my own would have been, you know, a $125 an hour sort of thing.

Comment

Although the waiting list can be 2 or 3 months on the NHS and they're limited to 6 sessions. Because you can't see mental illness, so it might as well not exist.

this may help

Or there's the BACP who my old therapist was affiliated with.

Comment

What is the difference between the "UK Council for Psychotherapy" and "the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy"?

Comment

Here, at least, many companies contract with service that you can call to get you started. It's part of our health benefits package. That's how I got started many years ago. They can suggest the sort of person you ought to start with and offer some local names, at least.

The person I talked to was a nurse, who was very knowledgable about the issues but but that person isn't necessarily going to know who is who in your area, so sooner or later you're probably going to just have to pick from a list and use trial and error, unless your GP or a friend can recommend someone. I've always just picked based on geography. That's really random, but if the first person doesn't work out, you can try again.

Unfortunately, the first shrink I saw, although her office was close to mine, wasn't actually doing me any good. Unfortunately, I really didn't know that at the time. I figured "well, I guess this is all there is to it." She also prescribed me drugs, which helped but had bad side effects. I didn't know there were alternatives. I didn't know what I needed. So it was a big waste, unfortunately. Live and learn.

But the subsequent people I've seen - also picking at random from the list - have been great. I picked my current guy becuase his office/house is down the road from where IMP lives and I figured that would be a good place to start because it will be easy to find since I already know how to get there. It's worked out really well, I think.

I imagine somewhere one of these professional organizations has created a guide to "what to look for in a counsellor." I should have thought of that.

Comment

Thanks all

Comment

Use the "Find a therapist" on any of those links mate or see your doctor.
                      It's not a quick process (I was seeing my guy for 2 1/2 years) but if nothing else, it's grand to be able to talk exclusively about yourself without having to worry about what terms you couch it in for an hour a week.

Comment

Amp, when my wife did a runner many years ago, the best thing I ever did was speak to Relate. I was lucky, I suppose, in that I "connected" with the counsellor, but I thought she was awfully good.

Comment

Working...
                        X