Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liver

I had some today, and I like it.
    Not very often, maybe once or twice a year, but it's good.
    I'm one of only a handful on earth, it seems, who likes liver.
    No, not with a glass of Chianti.
    Take it to a starving Sudanese outskirt and they'll turn it down, rather eat Sahara sand, one would guess based on the amount of frowns and squints and lips curled at the mention of liver which I’ve seen.
    I’ve always liked it, even as a kid.

I had a conversation with the owner of the place where I had the dish, and asked him whether he’d have some, but no, he did the frown, squint and curling of lips. He said it was way to dry in taste for him. Funny thing is, that the way I like liver the best, is just to chop it up in small pieces and fry it in a pan, add to that fried potato.

Liver

Depends really. A nice bit of calf's liver cooked properly is very nice. Get liver wrong and it's like eating your own shoes.

Comment

Liver

How do you prefer it?

Fried, in a stew.... ?

How about Foie gras?

Comment

Liver

I'm pro-liver.

Comment

Liver

Why on Earth... wrote:
          I'm pro-liver.
          But it really is one of those things you really enjoy most if you don't eat it to often, isn’t it?

Now, kidney, I never got. I know you have this in a number of British dishes. I remember visiting my grandmother no the Bosnian countryside and her putting kidneys in a jar of milk after they’d slaughtered the pig, as to get the poisonous particles out of it. I don’t know if this was superstition or necessary.

Comment

Liver

While on the subject of food I do not get.
            Here are two I have never had which perhaps someone can explain what the big deal is.

Swallow's nest soup
            Shark fin soup

One is saliva, sticks and dust, the other is skin and cartilage, or?

Comment

Liver

I had pig's kidneys, devilled, really really fresh, at Hugh F-W's farm a few months ago, and they were lovely.

Comment

Liver

What's devilled?
                And what do you have with kidney?

Comment

Liver

Devilled = spiced, normally including mustard.

Comment

Liver

Devilled kidneys on toast is fairly standard. Insofar as devilled kidneys are standard.

Comment

Liver

Does that mean it's marinated (keeping in mind what I mentioned about kidney being soaked in milk), or just spiced?

Comment

Liver

The main "kidney dish" in the UK Ganja is "steak&kidney pie". Choose your pub carefully and it can be truly superb, particularly when the filling has been left to cook for ages in a thick ale sauce and spiced well. Shortcrust pastry as well, full of butter, none of that puff pastry please...

Comment

Liver

Just spiced. Slice, cut away core, dice, toss (mustard powder, flour, pepper, maybe nutmeg/ginger/whatever), fry (butter, vinegar), eat.

Comment

Liver

Swallow's nest soup (or birds nest soup as it tends to be called in English) doesn't have sticks in it, just bird (swallow) spit. I had it once and thought it was pretty unpleasant (taste was negligible, texture was just as you'd imagine). Worst thing I've ever eaten is jellyfish.

Kidneys stink of piss. A bloke in my hall of residence when I was in the first year of University used to cook them quite ofetn and the whole floor would smell of urine afterwards. The attraction of eating piss-scented food is beyond me.

I used to enjoy liver before I quit meat. People here eat a lot of chicken liver, which I assume must be really small.

Comment

Liver

Liver is bloody lovely... thinly sliced, smidgette of garlic, lightly sauteed in walnut/almond oil... on thick slices of well buttered toast! YUM.

Comment

Liver

Shark fin soup
                                Ethically very dubious as well.

Comment

Liver

yes... the lengths those poor Fins have to go to, to be culinarily enriched...

Comment

Liver

I like Lamb's liver but have never been too fussed over calf's liver.

Lamb's liver is super cheap, best served fried with some onion gravy, mash potato and tinned marrowfat peas.

Comment

Liver

The kidneys I had in Dorset didn't smell at all, which must have been because they were so fresh. I liked the dish so much I bought some kidneys from the butcher to devil on Christmas morning, but they smelt so pissy I had to chuck them away, and have a big fry-up instead.

Comment

Liver

I'm not an organs person at all. Liver or kidneys.

Kidneys stink of piss.
                                        Indeed. Why you'd want to eat a piss factory is beyond me.

Comment

Liver

Maybe that's the reason for putting fresh kidney in a bowl of milk, to remove the smell?

Comment

Liver

Hopefully I will be eating liver for lunch, with bacon, mash, gravy, peas, onions and a cup of tea. Yum!

Comment

Liver

Peas suck.

Comment

Liver

Peas are great. Only a very slight secong to brocolli in the green veg stakes.
                                                Liver on the other hand is revolting.

Comment

Liver

For my money, normal broccoli is OK, but dull. The champion green veg is asparagus, then leeks, then sprouting broccoli.

I don't mind peas in soup.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X