Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free firewall compatible with Windows 98?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not for me, for a friend who's just got on the internet for the first time on an old computer.

I've done basic word searchs and found nothing at all. Any ideas?

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I think that the free versions of both AVG and Avast work with Windows 98.

Have your friend take a look at their respective websites (just google "AVG" or "Avast" and they should be the first hit).

Comment

I've got Avast. But that's just anti-virus, against stuff already on the machine, isn't it? Does it work as a firewall too?

Comment

They are both primarily designed to protect against viruses/spyware and other nasty bits that are not yet on your machine, though they each also include a "virus cleaner" if you have reason to believe that you are already infected.

That's why they need to regularly update the virus definition database, so that they know what to block.

Comment

Are they browsing using a router? It may have a firewall built in for inbound traffic.

Outbound traffic can be restricted with an old version of Zone Alarm. It stopped supporting Windows 98 from v6.5, but you can download the last supported version here.

Comment

Ah thanks both of you. CTT, this is what I was expecting- basically a 98 compatible version of what Hobbes set up for me which seems to work well. Thanks again.

This oldversion site looks good. Anything else you think I might need for my friend from there?

Comment

Working...
            X