The most heinous phrase in the English language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As she started as a Patsy Cline tribute, that'd be a bit meta meta, wouldn't it?

Comment

That could mean any number of things, while not meaning that voter participation rates have gone up.
      I don't see what that could reasonably mean other than young people actually showing up to the polls and voting.

In any event, "use" when connected to a device is a wasted word. Because in it's place, you could at least put something that says how the device is used, such as "implants of" or "surgeries with" or something like that.

Comment

Well, it could mean that everyone's taken to wearing "Vote Obama" t-shirts, and turned up at Rock The Vote concerts, and taken the free pamphlets and stated "I plan to vote" to pollsters. This clearly points to a growth in the popularity of voting, without actually affecting voter turnout. Popularity is a vague word. I take your point with respect to a device, but think, for the sake of one extra word, 'drug use' is more clear.

Comment

If you don't think it's clear enough, better to say drug abuse or drug recreation. More specific.

I think if kids were just talking about voting, but not voting, you'd have to clarify that some other way. But just saying "voting" implies actual voting. Otherwise you could just say "the election" instead of "voting."

Comment

Well, drug use isn't necessarily drug abuse. And recreation? Now you're just muttering incoherently like the man outside the bus terminal.

I'll concede the voting thing, though.

Comment

Right, the point is to be as specific as possible. "Use" just isn't at all specific or very helpful.

Comment

RayDeChaussee wrote:
                breaking news (whatever happened to the good old newsflash?)

to own (as in "Torres is owning Pepe tonight") -admittedly better than "raping" your opponent though

game face (esp. "Tiger's got his game face on")
                This comes from video game culture, specifically online first-person shooter culture. Which is mainly made up of teenage boys and being as obnoxious as possible is an attribute.

Of course, the popularity of Halo and XBOX live means, that it's more or less part of mainstream culture now.

Comment

"More and more college students are using drugs."

There.

Comment

Well, coming to this thread very late, and taking my cue from it, I'll nominate

Web 2.0
                    and
                    Blogosphere

which are just two pieces of utterly empty bollocks created by journalists and marketers. They're just utter wank.

I despise "pwned", too, from the other end of the internet. It's shit.

Comment

No. Web 2.0 actually has a meaning. It can be annoying, I'll grant you that.

Comment

Blogosphere has a meaning too. And pwned.

Comment

Have we done "Moving forward" yet? As in "Moving forward, we will ..."

Comment

I've spent this week editing/working on a project proposal which the proposer had us down as building an online course and delivering materials using Web 2.0. I had to gently explain that the whole point of Web 2.0 was that users generated their own content

Comment

TEV, that's still better than "on a go forward basis."

Comment

It certainly is.

Was confronted by a work-related message the other day imploring us to make "thoughtful and decisive decisions".

Comment

People who use the word "quality" as an adjective. It seems it's mostly youngish (20-35ish) males who have a predilection for doing this, and it drives me bloody crackers.

Comment

Venga wrote:
                                    People who use the word "quality" as an adjective. It seems it's mostly youngish (20-35ish) males who have a predilection for doing this...

Really?

Comment

Working...
                                    X