Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most heinous phrase in the English language

In terms of...

Is it just me or is everyone in this country desperately addicted to using this phrase to start every single sentence? Politicians on the Today show, people being interviewed on telly, colleagues at work, management at work...every bloody one has to use and keep using the stupid phrase all the bloody time.

It reminds me of that brilliant Murray Lachlan Young poem, 'Simply Everyone's Taking Cocaine' - but a corporate babble version.

Please tell me I'm not alone here...

sorry pants, there are so many much worse than that.

But I understand your sensibility here.

(We have done this before, where my most hated was '24/7')

Comment

Word.

I mean, the most heinous phrase in the English language isn't a phrase, it's a word.

Comment

Scientists on radio explaining their research. Why do they always start with "So,..." before their explanation? There's no need for it!

Comment

New one, just heard:

'Brand new, Red Dwarf, coming to Dave'

you decide...

Comment

Let's be absolutely clear...

what were talking about as one of the most heinous (and wrongly used by politicans) phrases in the English language.

Comment

Anything used by politicians is 'heinous'

Comment

Oh, get real!

Comment

Gerontophile wrote:
                  sorry pants, there are so many much worse than that.

But I understand your sensibility here.

(We have done this before, where my most hated was '24/7')
                  You've given me a George Michael earworm now.

Comment

In 2004 the Plain English Campaign asked its supporters in more than 70 countries which phrases were the most annoying. The top ten came out like this:
                    at the end of the day
                    at this moment in time
                    like (as, like, a form of punctuation)
                    with all due respect
                    to be honest
                    let's touch base
                    I hear what you're saying
                    going forward
                    absolutely
                    blue sky thinking

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:
                      Scientists on radio explaining their research. Why do they always start with "So,..." before their explanation? There's no need for it!
                      Word. Word. And a thousand times, word.

"At the end of the day" is the "basically" of the '00s, and I hate it.

Comment

"Blue sky thinking"? What does that mean?

Comment

Oh, and if I never again hear the phrase 'mother tongue' to refer to one's first language, it will be too soon.

Comment

On the other hand, the Plain English Campaign are a bunch of quasi-autistic wankers.

Comment

Toro, you just said a lipsmackingthirstquenchingacetastingcool walinghightalkingfastinanenervatingcoolmotivatingc ooltalkinthinghwalkingfastenervating... etc mouthful

or something

Who knew?

Comment

bugger

Comment

I got a job interview in a few days out of looking at all you cunts! Thanks all.

Comment

ok, someone wants me to be a writer.

I am not.

Some of you know how this works.

I am not worthy.

Comment

Two OTF staples, which really get right up my nose, since their 'inception':

"So, , then" (translated: "I don't want to commit myself to an opinion just yet, in case it's ridiculed")

"To be fair..." ("In order for me to be able to walk away from this debate looking as if I've 'won' somehow...")

I blame football managers for that last one. See 'Inappropriate Championship Manager' for good parodies of its use.

You'll all be first up against the wall, come the revolution, etc, etc. Grrr...

Comment

I didnt realise until now, that people outside the otf clique, actually read this shit... well there you go.

Fuck them all.

Comment

Ger, mate, what exactly are you trying to tell us?

Comment

"Like..." liberally peppered throughout conversations.

"It was, like, amazing..." etc. No, you slurring, mealy-mouthed twat - it either was "amazing" or it wasn't. Make your fucking mind up! This one is another example of not wanting to seem committal about a statement, but it's one that has become really like a subconscious vocal tick or affectation (particularly among people of certain social groups, I notice). Was this originally an American affectation that has worked its way into English English via TV and film? I have that impression.

Comment

no GO, cant. I need a job

Comment

"In terms of" is one of those bits of syntax waste that I hate. I don't mind it so much when people are speaking, but it drives me nuts when one of the reporters I edits writes something like "Nobody knows what FDA's new drug-eluting stent requirements will look like in terms of its pre-market testing." That gets angrily red-penned into "FDA has yet to announce the new drug-eluting stent pre-market testing requirements." What is so damn hard about being direct and concise?

"Like" is a subconscious vocal tick, perhaps brought on by nerves. It seems to appear most commonly in young women, but it's moved beyond that. It makes the speaker sound stupid, although I've known some very smart people to be afflicted with it.

I don't have a problem with the "So, XYZ, then" as a thread title. I think it's something one might say during a convienient pause in a conversation in a pub in order to begin a new discussion on a new subject. It comes across as less demanding than saying "Let's talk about XYZ now."

Comment

evilC wrote:
                                                  This one is another example of not wanting to seem committal about a statement, but it's one that has become really like a subconscious vocal tick or affectation
                                                  The second part of this statement undoes the first: it is a filler, and that's all. No more offensive to my (subjective) ear than a person umming and aahing because they are speaking on the fly without sufficient forethought.

One that really annoys me (being a low-level bureaucrat) is people that respond to a question with "WELL!" followed by a large pause whilst they think about what they are actually going to say. These people are braggarts, scared of losing their right to be the first to answer a question and intent on dominating conversational space, even when they have fuck all of use to add.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X