Fun things to do in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Mrs Hofzinser's 30th birthday soon and as it's a bit of a landmark one, we're both taking the day off work and I've said I'll sort out something fun to do during the day (we're going out for dinner in the evening).

The trouble is, I can't really think of anything. I want something a bit different, or at least non-obvious. And not just going to a gallery or museum or something.

A good example would be something like going on a wine-tasting tour at Vinopolis - which would actually be pretty much perfect, as we're both very fond of good food and drink - except that she's done that before. A trip to the zoo is possible, except it seems a bit unimaginative, and also more like a treat for me than her, so I'm looking for something else.

Can the collective brains of otf help out here? Any suggestions?

Wakeboarding in Chertsey?

Comment

How about a narrowboat trip along the canal from Little Venice? You could easily combine that with the zoo, given that the canal runs along Regent's Park.

A rather posh one here and others linked here.

Comment

The other boat trip is to take one from the South Bank west to Kew and visit the gardens.

Comment

I know it's dead obvious but the London Eye is aces.

Comment

That is an excellent idea, ursus, and exactly the sort of suggestion I was looking for - thanks!

(Which isn't to close the thread out or anything - further ideas are welcomed.)

Comment

Take her for a glass of champagne at the bar at the top of the OXO tower. Views are stunning.

Comment

I'll check that out too - thanks, GO.

lyra - the London Eye is indeed great but the problem is we've both done it before. I'm hoping for something a bit different that will be a new experience for both of us.

Comment

It's cheesy but the open top Double-decker bus is worth it. Especially combined with a river cruise (if the weather is nice). London looks stunning from the river.

Also the aquarium is pretty good. The shark tank is huge.

Comment

Tea at the Ritz (or one of the other hotels)?

Comment

Take her skateboarding on the South Bank. And while your there, marvel at those fucking cunts pretending to be statues.

Comment

If you're going to do tea, then the Savoy's the best. Unfortunately it's being refurbished at present, so forget it...

Comment

Some more very good ideas (although my skateboard's in for repair at the moment). Thanks all.

Comment

If we're talking river cruises then Greenwich and the Thames barrier is good. The largest edifice designed by a woman, you can tell her as you crusie around it- it is an extraordinary piece of engineering and beautiful. You can get off at greenwich and return by bus or train. or walk through the foot tunnel.

Other great trips

The John Soane Museum in Holborn.

Comment

The Thames barrier is lovely isn't it? Not far from the Greenwich side of the foot tunnel are any munber of great pubs, the best of which I'd say is the Trafalgar.

The John Soane Museum is free on the first Tuesday of every month and opens late - so that they can do it by candlelight.

Comment

You could play hide and seek.

Comment

The Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park is always good, but I guess you're looking for something sooner, before the season starts.

Comment

Get the Northern Line up to Highgate, and go and seek out Karl Marx's tomb in the cemetery.

You could then either light a candle and recite some lines from the communist manifesto, or convince your missus to get her kit off and straddle Marx's bust and sell the pictures to Loaded magazine.

Comment

If you're going up to Highgate Cemetery, I'd seriously suggest that you talk one of the guided walks around the western part. It's a fabulous old gothic, overgrown place, much used in Hammer Horror films. Well worth a visit.

Comment

If the weather is good, got to Greewich and have a picnic in the park at the top of the hill then go to the Planetarium.
                                        You could do the same on Primrose Hill substituting the Planetarium for the getting pissed in the pub.

Comment

Good call on the park Hobbes. She could also get her kit off and straddle the Greenwich Meridian! Or alternatively go and have a look at John Harrison's clocks in the Observatory Museum. There's also the Maritime Museum where they have Nelson's uniform from the battle of Trafalgar still covered in his blood and showing the bullet hole. Great Gory stuff!

Comment

Anything around the Thames is wonderful - I know you specified avoiding the whole art gallery thing, Hof, but doing the Tates Britain and Modern and catching the riverbus, (sailing past the Houses Of Parliament) between them is a fantastic few hours. I'm amazed more isn't made of that trip. I'd start at Blackfriars or St Pauls, walk across the Millennium Bridge, look back at the cathedral, (it's a great view) then do the art thang.

Otherwise, get yourself to Richmond Park, hang out with the deer for a bit and marvel at the 360 degree view of no buildings at all, then sit yourself down at the top of Richmond Hill and survey the surroundings. It's part of London but rather different:

Then a cup of tea or whatever down by the Thames and on to your evening.

Comment

And a photo doesn't do it justice, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                              X