Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How dare the Dunblane survivors enjoy themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been following this story? The Scottish edition of the Sunday Express ran a shock-horror story (which has since been pulled from their website) about the surviving children from the Dunblane massacre, now in their late teens, boasting on the internet about doing things like - I hope you're sitting down, gentle WSCers - getting drunk, getting into fights and having sex.

The PCC are investigating it, and rightly so. What the hell were they thinking?

Fortunately, so that we can all see just how ill-judged the original piece was, someone has preserved it (minus incriminating names). Here it is.

Here's the bit that gets me:

Indeed, no photographs of any of the children have been seen in more than a decade, and the social network sites give the first insight into how their lives have progressed.
    What this inadvertently tells you is that someone at the Express has been detailed, for the last 12 months or so, with tracking the survivors down on social networking sites and waiting till they turn 18.

The story "teenagers in 'doing stuff that teenagers do' shock" was clearly planned a long time ago, and wasn't just the work of some irresponsible hack on the night shift.

Did no-one there consider that maybe, you know, they might just be irreversibly altered by the events that happened to them as children?

For fuck's sake, for a start they're just doing what many teenagers do and it might just be the coping strategy they use to deal with the fact that they were shot at as children and saw friends die.

Is the Scottish Sunday Express basically the same as the London-based one? It figures.

Comment

On his biography he... says he lives “fur the weekend, that sounds so sad but am 18 so suck ma b*ws.”
      That's all that really needs to be said here, isn't it?

What cunts.

Comment

Stuff like this will only hasten the demise of the Express, which is going down the tubes very fast at present.

What frightens me is the reminder that this whole thing took place a full 13 years ago. Jesus christ, where does the time go.

Comment

On the other point that SR makes, who needs a 'surveillance society' when hacks like these are there to do it instead of the authorities?

Another thing is, if a non-hack had followed a bunch of kids/teens around on the internet for a year or more and then barged into their private lives, the very same paper would probably be accusing them of being a paedophile.

Comment

"How dare they publish pictures of themselves when we the papers weren't allowed to!"

So drinking and shagging insults the memory of everyone I know that's ever died? Captain Qwest I don't even think it has to be a coping strategy. ALL teenagers do this stuff.

Comment

No I know, I mean having only fairly recently left my teenage years myself I'm all too aware of what teenagers get up to - I merely meant that if they're being slightly more extrovert than their peers, maybe a bit more OTT then who can really blame them after what they went through?

Comment

Having also only fairly recently left my teenage years... ahem, I wonder what the Express would prefer these teenagers to be doing? This has to be one of the most uplifting things I've heard all week. These kids who could have easily been murdered are out celebrating life just the way they ought to be. Wonderful stuff.

Comment

I thought I was past being shocked at what the tabs get up to, but this, well, I feel almost physically sick, to be honest.

Maybe it's because my Auntie lived in Dunblane at the time. I don't think it's that though.

Comment

Hasn't one of the Dunblane schoolchildren "survivors" gone on to become World no.4 at tennis, renowned for his dedication and professional attitude to his sport?

Hardly an example that seems to fit any implication that all the kids were so emotionally crippled by the events they witnessed that they've all become hopeless wasters. Indeed, I'd have thought the most glaringly obvious counterpoint to a piece of this nature that I can't believe it escaped the attention of the hack that put it together. Possibly because Andy Murray hasn't got time to bugger about on bebo?

Comment

Personally, I reckon that dedicating oneself to a sport with sufficient intensity to become no 4 in the world is far more indicative of mental trauma than getting drunk and getting laid.

Comment

Possibly because Andy Murray hasn't got time to bugger about on bebo?
                        Which, in fairness, makes him something of a rarity in British youth tennis.

Comment

ALL teenagers do this stuff.
                          I didn't when I was a teenager. Then again, I wasn't normal.

Comment

Fortunately, I dont read the Express.

Comment

Sometimes I truly, truly love the internet.

Comment

To be fair, the Express don't like to think of anybody enjoying themselves.

Comment

I too was in camp Reed (different country but same club)

I was also depressed at being told incessantly that all teenagers were having sex and out of their minds on drugs. Damn being part of the silent majority.

Comment

Working...
                                  X