Parochial 'Moving North of the river' question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parochial 'Moving North of the river' question

I much was closer to that place all along, too.

I've been a North Londoner since midday on Thursday, and I quite like it.

Being on the canal is wicked, especially when it works out cheaper than living one street away from Streatham and wandering how I got blown so far adrift. I like Dalston a lot - it's like a supersized Brixton where you can walk more than ten paces without obstruction. I've also been flaneuring around/getting lost for a couple of days now, and most of Stoke Newington seems well nice too (they've even got a castle!).

Mind you, I walked up to Broadway market today and hit the motherlode of meh. If you're the kind of person who gets excited about organic meat you might like it, I suppose, but it's clogged with UK hipsters, who must be the worst-dressed in the world; the men, at least. One just walked past looking exactly like Morrissey fans did when I was 12; the rest of them seem to be following a trend for deliberately gaudy colour schemes, which means orange, green or red jeans - like Santa's little helpers - sometimes mixed with pink leg warmer-y things. But that's the extent of the fashion wildness - in every other respect, they just look like the skate kids on the South Bank, with sligthly bigger glasses. I had to clamp my jaw closed with my hand to stop myself shouting: "Pull your jeans up, man, you're 30 years old!" at the 14th one I spotted today. And I'm convinced they kept clocking my wind-distressed corkscrew hair, trying to figure out whether it's some next-level shit or a sign of mental volatility.

Thanks for the man/van tips, all. Balderdash's Peter did a sterling job in the end for £50 - easiest move I've ever made.

Comment

Working...
    X