Parochial 'Moving North of the river' question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Londoners. I'm about to do the unthinkable and flee the borough of Lambeth for the land of canalside drug deals and fashion berks they're all calling "Hoxton" (or Dalston, or Shoreditch, or Hackney, or Islington, or De Beauvoir Town, or wherever the hell it actually is. Here, right on the canal.)

So, does anyone know a good man with a van who'd have a free spot in about three weeks' time? I haven't moved further than a couple of miles for a while, so taxis, wheelbarrows and shopping trolleys have always suffficed; but boy have I got a lot of stuff now.

Nice one. That's about 15 minutes from me. We should go for a Vietnamese meal when you get settled in.

Comment

Can't help much with the van, but I live on Mill Row, almost next door. It's Hoxton proper, I believe - De Beauvoir Town doesn't start until you cross the canal. It's a funny mix of post-industrial decay, genuinely leafy vilalge (DBT, at least) and the cool kids further down the road.

Comment

Yeah, I had what the map calls DBT pegged as a classic example of "pretty name, ugly place" dissonance, but I only saw the mass of tower blocks from the south side of the canal.

So, I'll be a Hoxtonite after all.

Definitely up for that, GY.

Comment

I used to live about 100 yards West of there on Felton Street.
          Great area, really brilliant. 15 minutes walk from Upper Street, 15 from Vicky Park etc. along the canal. I love it round there and I'm now seething with jealousy.
          The pub on the corner of Baring Street and Southgate Road - The Rosemary Branch - is very good.

Comment

Oh, try Wayne on 07887 894898 for a mover. He's done my last 2 moves and been quick, cheap and efficient.
            2 burly South Africans with their own van, charge about £40hour inc van shouldn't take more than 2 hours.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
              Nice one. That's about 15 minutes from me. We should go for a Vietnamese meal when you get settled in.
              Is that some kind of euphemism?

Comment

Perfect, thanks for that Hobbes.

It truly is a topsy turvy world when I live on your favourite spot ond you're a fully fledged South Londoner.

Comment

Yeah, we're actually going to have a Turkish meal.

Comment

Ah good news. YATR and I are very near GY though we're yet to meet up with him. But we'll make a renewed effort, I'm sure, when you arrive.

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
                      Yeah, we're actually going to have a Turkish meal.

Comment

Alternative man with van:

www.easy4transport.com

mobile: 07864 062 871
                        e-mail: info@easy4transport.com

If you can load / lift your own stuff you get a man with van for £35 for the first 2 hours. We just used them to move from Bermondsey to Camden.

Ask for Peter, he's friendly, turns up on time and actually carries some of your stuff for you even when you tell him he doesn't need to...

Comment

Brilliant, thanks Balderdasha.

Comment

Quite a little North London nexus building up. We should all pop for pints.

Comment

Sounds good to me.

Comment

And me. This idea that isolation is good for you - load of bollocks.

Comment

I'm not far away in South London. Nearly North in fact. Count me in.

Comment

Where LL's headed is practically east too, so I'm in.

Comment

Very near me as well. I'm just a short bus ride away.

Comment

Surely this thread should've been called Parochial 'Moving to London' question...

Comment

No, that would have been me almost a year ago....

Comment

I am happy to help with moving, LL, if you need any extra hands.

Comment

Cheers ears.

Surely this thread should've been called Parochial 'Moving to London' question...
                                              Hang on, GO, don't you live in, like, Zone 25 or something, in the home counties somewhere? I used to get rudely awoken by the bongs of Big Ben when I lived on the Lambeth Walk, just round the corner from the queen, I'll have you know.

Comment

Was it at specific times, or just any evening any day, any time you were down Lambeth Way?

Comment

Nah, the centre of London remains the City of London- clue in the name there. Westminster is a recent invention.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X