He's in the "shipping" business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/world/americas/12briefs-DRUGLORDONWE_BRF.html?ref=world

Forbes’s list of the richest people in the world includes a fugitive drug don from Mexico who goes by the name Shorty. Joaquín Guzmán Loera, 54, who is the head of the feared Sinaloa Cartel, appears for the first time at No. 701. Mr. Guzmán escaped from a Mexican prison in a laundry cart in 2001, days before he was to be extradited to the United States. The United States government is offering a $5 million reward for his capture, which is pocket change for Mr. Guzmán; Forbes put his net worth at about $1 billion. His industry is listed as “shipping.”

One amazing point from this quote is the fact that there now are about 1,000 billionaires. Wealth concentration on a large scale has become widespread.

Comment

If you combine the rapidly esalating (until he credit crunch) income inequalities in the US and UK and the concurrent oil/commodity price boom which hugely enriched many oligarchs, royal family members and politicians in "emerging markets", it's not too surprising.

Comment

Speaking of vague job descriptions, I had a bit of trouble last October with some prick who was renting my space in my apartment building's car park, but basically stopped paying me after about four weeks and refused to give me my electronic zapper back, forcing me to take alternative measures to get rid of him (long story).

At the end of our initial meeting, by which time he already had my zapper in his possession. I asked him what he did for a living, and he replied in a somewhat shifty manner: "I move things around."

A bit of careful digging a month or so later (a load of cops drink in my local), after he stopped paying me, revealed that he was a convicted criminal. For Data Protection Act-related reasons, they couldn't tell me anything specific about him other than that he was "a bad cunt". I'm guessing drug dealer though.

Comment

There's a germ of a screenplay in there.

Comment

Well, they say you should write about what you know . . .

Comment

Why the quotation marks around "shipping" -- surely that's exactly what he does?

Comment

Working...
              X