Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take you to burn a film to a DVD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because I've just done one, using Xilisoft DVD Creator (from download.com) and it took over three hours!

There must be a faster way... mustn't there?

It's all about grunt.
    How much RAM and how fast is your processor? I can burn DVD's from iso files at work in about 10 - 15 minutes.

Comment

Crikey, no idea. I was using Nero (until it died recently) and it was taking the duration of the film to do it.

What program do you use at work?

Comment

Oh, any old shite. Depends on whether the film is in iso, or just copied straight up to the drive.
        Takes about 15 minutes either way.
        But then I have a 3Ghz dual processor and 3Gb of Ram.

Although having said that, I whacked out a DVD on the laptop the other day and it only took 20 minutes and that much lower spec.

Comment

A big factor might be having to sit and convert whatever it is to a format that will work on a DVD player.

Unhelpfully enough, that is as much as I know about the whole business, but I have had it happen to me trying to burn hooky films onto something watchable. Perhaps you could burn the film as a data disc (i.e. in whatever format it exists in on your hard disk), and cross your fingers that you have one of those wonderful DVD players that will play anything you throw at it.

I find that it's usually snide, no-brand ones they practically give away in cheap supermarkets are best for this.

Comment

I don't convert anything to DVD any more, but I hear good things about ConvertXToDVD. It's not free software. I've got a DivX compatible DVD player, so I burn them as data files. The one that I have right now is very good - it's made by Philips - and pays all DivX and Xvid files and MP4s. It even has a USB port so you don't have to burn to DVD if you don't want to. It cost about £35 or so, but you can get them cheaper than that.

Comment

Dogbeak, how on earth is a DVD player, snide?

Comment

Sorry, that's a bit of a Salfordism: round 'ere snide is a term much used to describe shoddy, poor quality goods.

Comment

Working...
                X