Discounts? Wii ain't got no discounts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nintendo Wii is over two years old, but it's selling so well that Nintendo has yet to cut the price, while its competitors having been cutting as fast as they can afford to. In fact, Nintendo has just increased the price it charges retailers by £20. That has to be unprecedented, doesn't it? Wholesale prices do sometimes fluctuate with exchange rates, but I've never heard of a console that cost more after two years than at launch.

Games consoles are not part of my worldview: I really am that old. But... I had a friend who worked in an antique carpet shop. If there was a carpet that wouldn't sell at a price roughly in line with the standard valuation, the proprietor's tactic would be to increase the price, and do so repeadedly until some more-money-than-sense-nik would happen by and shell out for it, assuming that the price reflected the article's exclusivity. That Harry Enfield Notting Hill shopkeeper character is true-to-life.

Comment

That doesn't sound too far from Sony's strategy, to be honest. Hasn't done them much good.

Comment

The yen is eye-wateringly strong and the pound of course very weak at present, so that must be skewing an awful lot of UK / JPN trade as well as our good friends at Nintendo.

Comment

Wii is enjoying a perfect storm from a marketing point of view. From the get-go, they've constricted supply to keep the desirability factor high. And they're enjoying an iPod-like 'must have' quotient. Plus, they've made a real effort to broaden their target market from traditional gamers and shoot-em-up titles to young kids and women who like yoga. Top marks to them, right across the board.

Comment

I really really want a PS3, but I'm not rich.

Just saying.

Comment

Our gaming console is one of those 5-in-1 games for $14.95 that you plug into the yellow and white jacks on your TV. It has Ms Pac Man, Galaga and some crap.

Comment

The Wii also has at least 3 games that are worth playing and are unique to the console.

The PS3 has, er, Little Big Planet as far as I can see.

The Wii isn't really in direct competition with anything else, is it? So I guess that's one more reason they could hike the price if they chose.

Comment

Tiddlywinks and Snap. That's the future, mark my words.

You can keep your wavy techno remotes, attempting to propel a small plastic button into a cup via strong pressure applied to part of it with another small plastic button will survive long after all this nonsense. In years to come, people will be queuing up outside stores at midnight to buy new, state-of-the-art small plastic buttons and cups to replace and make obsolete those small plastic buttons and cups that were now consigned to the past, forgotten to allow the ground-breaking, expectation-busting small plastic buttons and cups to capture the hearts of a new generation.

Yes, then there's Snakes and Ladders....throw a six, ooh, you've hit a ladder....my turn...gibber, dribble....

Comment

Nothing to add really but this picture amuses me:

Comment

The Wii also has at least 3 games that are worth playing and are unique to the console.

The PS3 has, er, Little Big Planet as far as I can see.
                      It's not a like for like comparison though. Wii is a superb, fun games machine.
                      The PS3 is a multimedia entertainment centre. Essentially the PS3 does everything AND games too.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                        Our gaming console is one of those 5-in-1 games for $14.95 that you plug into the yellow and white jacks on your TV. It has Ms Pac Man, Galaga and some crap.
                        WOM:

I presume you saw this thread that I started, the other week?

Comment

The PS3 actually has quite a few good exclusives now, beyond LBP.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is one of the best games this generation.
                          MGS 4 is great if you like the Metal Gear series
                          Valkyria Chronicles is a gorgeous and highly innovative tactical RPG.
                          Ratchet & Clank Future is a very solid and beautiful action platformer.
                          Motor Storm and its sequel are excellent if unforgiving arcade racers.
                          Killzone 2 is supposed to be a pretty good shooter, although I haven't played it.

On the downloadable games side, the following are as good as anything the other consoles have to offer:

Pixejunk Monsters
                          Pixeljunk Eden
                          Wipeout HD
                          Super Stardust HD
                          Flower

Comment

Nothing to add really but this picture amuses me

I find the effect is twice as pleasurable if you imagine them wearing blindfolds and with cigarettes hanging out of their gobs.

Comment

I downloaded Flower. I must admit to being somewhat nonplussed. It was fairly diverting for an hour then it suddently finished.

Comment

WOM:

I presume you saw this thread that I started, the other week?
                                I did, and I got all giddy. But they wouldn't work for me, in some kind of Mac/Java confuction, and I started hating you deeply, and then I started abusing my evilC doll and then Mrs WOM walked in and it got awkward.

Maybe I'll try it again later on Firefox.

Comment

I downloaded Uno over XBLA recently. You would not believe how bloody addictive it is.

Comment

Slightly off topic

XBox 360's LittleBigPlanet clone

See how Microsoft fail so completely in the interface dept.

Comment

Working...
                                    X