You don’t have a bloody Gin and Tonic on the beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone expressed how much she would like a vacation “a real one, sitting on the beach and sipping a Gin and Tonic”

You don’t have Gin and Tonic on the beach, do you!? I never have it, but I still know that Gin and Tonic is a bar drink, if there ever was one.

A cold beer straight from the bottle, a Piña Colada, Red wine and soda water in a tall glass, that’s what you have on the beach.

At the beach, you have Frozen Marguerite, a pint of draft beer, a bottle of white wine or champagne.

In a restaurant you have a bottle wine, red or white, finishing with a cognac.

At the bar, that’s where you have your Gin and Tonic, or a Stout.

Gin and Tonic on the beach!? The things you hear!

I do.

Comment

Ah, Shirley Valentine.

"And do you know what? Now I'm finally here, now I've given everything up, now I've got my sunset, and my wine, and my table on the beach drinking my wine looking at the sodding sunset ... I feel like a stupid, bloody idiot!".

Comment

Gin and tonics, with lime,are the best.

Comment

Surely gin and tonics are best suited to the colonial overseer watching over his his malaria infested fields being worked by the unpaid local peoples who will one day rise up in rebellion. Or am I wrong?

Comment

Red wine and what?

(I mean, beer from the bottle's bad enough.)

Comment

I'm afraid that was said without enough force, WE.

RED WINE AND WHAT?!

The only thing you're allowed to mix red wine with, is more red wine from the same bottle, or at a push another bottle of the same vintage of the same wine.
              Gin and Tonic is a perfectly acceptable beach tipple.

Comment

Or stock, with chopped carrots, shallots and celery and a bouquet garni of thyme, bay and parsley.

Comment

Sangria?

Comment

Never cared for it, despite my extreme Hispanophilia. But it doesn't strike me as batshit insane, like putting fizzy water in red wine.

Comment

Sangria has fizzy water in it.

Comment

Ishmael, born Matej wrote:
                        Surely gin and tonics are best suited to the colonial overseer watching over his his malaria infested fields being worked by the unpaid local peoples who will one day rise up in rebellion. Or am I wrong?
                        Sommer is the one guilty for bringing this whole thing up. She’s the one drinking Gin and Tonic on the beach.

Now I see where she got it from. Them colonialist genes can’t be hidden. I bet the family still has a banana plantation somewhere in the midst of the Amazonian forest, where they have enslaved a poor native tribe and have them fork for peanuts (which they get from another plantation which they’re running further up north in central America)

Comment

Wa ayat al Urbi wrote:
                          Red wine and what?

(I mean, beer from the bottle's bad enough.)
                          Wa ayat al Urbi wrote:
                          [quote]Red wine and what?

Almost what Sommer responded with, only she said “wine”, as in red or white.
                          OK, I am very much aware of that I’m oversimplifying it but I asked her why she loved champagne so much. She has about a crate a week.
                          I’m perfectly aware that champagne isn’t as simple as white wine mixed with soda water, but part of the reason people drink it is that soda-like sensation.

Back to red whine and soda water, you will find it quite popular in parts down by the Mediterranean. Having a, say Shiraz in the middle of the day, under the sun, in the dry heat, it’s a bit heavy. People mix it with soda water, which gives it a refreshing and cooling effect.

And what do you almost always get when you order red wine in a restaurant? Water, no? And sparkling water is as common as plain water, isn’t it?

And as for beer in a bottle, that's on the beach, not at the beach, by the pool or inside, at the bar.

Comment

By the way, in Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia, red wine with a tad of soda water is called a Gemischt

Comment

Bruno wrote:
                              Sangria has fizzy water in it.
                              Yes. Amongst other things.

Comment

Anyone who sits on the beach drinking anything is suffering from a terminal loss of imagination.

You're in a foreign country, full of wondrous museums, castles, cultural sites, forests, whatever, and you choose to spend your time sat on sand baking your brains out and getting skin cancer? Leave the booze for back at the villa later on and go out and discover stuff!

Comment

I don't mind the odd trip to the beach, and the kids love playing in the sea. But yeah, having a drink there feels like we're staying longer than I want to. Splash about, buy an ice cream, move on.

Comment

I find that I like the ocean, but not the beach so much. When I go to the beach, I spend most of the time swimming in the waves and then maybe a little making sandcastles with my niece and nephew and then maybe we'll throw the football in the waves to see who can make a spectacular catch a split second before being swallowed by the sea, but I don't understand the appeal of just hanging out on the sand and slowly cooking like a roast beef sandwich under the heat lamp at a Hardees.

We never take alcohol to the beach. Maybe a few cold sodas to cool off with and to get the saltwater and sand out of my mouth after I come in from playing with the Boogie board. I agree with WE that bringing booze to the beach implies that you're planning to hang out there for a long time.

Comment

Personally, I enjoy going to the beach just to lay out under a shady palm tree reading a good book. Alcohol consumption is often a part of this.

Comment

Drink whatever you want on the beach. Jeez.

Comment

I'm not a beach person at all, although I might like it now more than I did when I had long hair. Most beaches I've been too are pretty windy and I always hated having my hair blow about. Makes it pretty hard to read too.

Comment

I don't know how it is where you are, SR, but here, anything one wants to have on the beach is going to have to be carried a few hundred yards from the parking lot, so bringing the whole bar worth of options isn't very practical. Indeed, bringing a bottle of gin, and tonic, and limes and the vessels to put it may not be desirable either.

This is why so many people at the beach I go to in Delaware have a permit to bring their truck/SUV onto the sand. Ostensibly, it's for surf fishing and thus, by law, if you have your vehicle on the beach, you must be actively fishing, i.e. have a line in the water with the rod stuck in the sand. But surffishing is actually a really poor way to catch fish and the real reason so many people do it is that it makes it much easier to bring a cooler full of beer onto the beach.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                              Drink whatever you want on the beach. Jeez.
                                              But where's the fun in allowing people to do that? Everybody would mind their own business, get along great and never argue. What kind of freak world would that be?

Comment

Admittedly I live literally a stone's throw from the water, yeah.

Comment

By the way, in Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia, red wine with a tad of soda water is called a Gemischt
                                                  Way back when there was only Yugoslavia I stayed at a campsite in what is now Slovenia (on the coast), and drank loads of rough Balkan sangria that went by the name mish-mash. The owner of the campsite was called Istarski Vodovod, which isn't really relevant to the story, but is, I believe, worth reporting anyway. There was every night a band who played who had learned their mostly English language repertoire phonetically, and at times made small errors ("When the going gets tough" was rendered as "Go and get stoned" for example, and I strongly suspect this wasn't a knowing version of the original, but just a genuine mistake)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X