Lyse Doucet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lyse Doucet

I am not sure what it is about this person that annoys me the most.

It could be the way she talks and pronounces words like a witch in a Mcbeth play, or maybe the way her eyes twitch and constantly squint when she looks at the camera, or even it could be that whenever she is on tv, it is usually from a western created shithole like Afghanistan, Iraq, Beruit etc.

I dunno, maybe i am full of too much hate as i get older.

Lyse Doucet

You may be but I'm with you on the pronunciation.

She's like Sue Lloyd Roberts on helium.

Comment

Lyse Doucet

That's twice we have agreed on something Bill Poster.
      Can i mark you down as a convert to my way of thinking?

Comment

Lyse Doucet

Fat (ha!) chance...

Comment

Lyse Doucet

Try a little discipline.

Comment

Lyse Doucet

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of TG and Bill practising discipline with each other.

Comment

Lyse Doucet

Wear looser pants.

Comment

Lyse Doucet

Her accent is indeed unusual, and I always thought it was some rural Quebecois variation, but it turns out that she is from New Brunswick, which is the only Canadian province that is officially billingual.

I'm not sure that I've ever met anyone else from New Brunswick, so I can't say how typical it is.

Comment

Lyse Doucet

The Canadians talk about a "Down East" accent, don't they? Is that what they mean? It's got slightly Irish-y bits, like Newfie does, without being a full-on as Newfie.

I'd not heard Ms Doucet before; I think I rather like her voice, to be honest.

Comment

Lyse Doucet

Her voice may grate but at least she does not have an air of false sincerity that some of her more high profile female colleagues at the BBC convey; this makes Doucet far more tolerable to watch as a rule.

I’m of the mind that she should actually read the news on a toadstool under the banner ’Lyse Doucet – Anchor Pixie’. I would have gone as far as insisting she wore Tinkerbell-style wings for each news report, but having watched Red Riding on Channel 4 last week I don’t think I’ll ever look at faeries in the same way again.

Comment

Lyse Doucet

She's been on the World Service for years and for a long time I wondered what her accent was. It's very harsh and sounds slightly northern Irish, so I was surprised to find out that she's Canadian. There's another woman on there with a very similar accent, but I forget what her name is.

But yeah, at least she hasn't got that portentious "Day Today"-style Buerkese thing going on that most of the others seem to have. She's also one of the very few people who turn out to look like they sound on the radio. I like her.

Comment

Lyse Doucet

She's Canadian? Holy shit, I had no idea. I always assumed she was Irish.

According to wiki, she's actually Acadian. I have many acadian friends and none of them sound even vaguely like that.

There are a number of different "down east" accents, and some of ones from rural nova Scotia and outport Newfoundland can sound Irish-y, but being from Bathurst, New Brunswick she has no excuse for sounding like that.

Comment

Working...
                        X