Math Teachers — Talk to Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can find his books online but nothing that links to his educational theory or its implementation. Are you aware of anything?

Comment

Even the hoary old math "stories" used to raise questions in my mind: If three men take two days to dig a hole, how long will it take one man to dig a similar sized hole? Well why are the men digging the hole? What's it for? Then "Why did two of them bugger off leaving one guy to dig the other one?

Interestingly, my response to this was always "Well, it's one person, so he'll be more tired after a couple of days than the three people doing the same job would after one day, so that'll add a little bit. But they won't be getting in each others' way, and that may take some time off. And which of the three is it, anyway? The slow lazy one, or the fast, efficient, strong one? And are there any parts of hole-digging that are much more efficiently done by two people, such as moving large objects, say?

Comment

This?

Comment

Ah thanks, saw that and whizzed right by it.

Are you familiar with this organisation?

http://www.upd8.org.uk/

They seem to employ some similar concepts to IE but in a science education only context. However someone is obviously throwing scads of money in their direction.

Comment

Rings a bell. I have actually come across that narrative approach in a science context. It wasn't an instant hit with me.

Comment

What do you do with high schoolers who lack the basic arithmetic to reduce fractions, factor, or find common multiples, and are now lost at algebra and geometry? They were never made to learn it and so don't see why they should. They'd rather spend five minutes reducing a fraction by trial and error on their calculators than just learn their fucking times table.

I had a 9th grader and the concept of fractions was eluding him. A fraction is part of a whole, less than 1, I explained. How can you have less than 1? he asked. You mean zero?

No, you know, like 1/2. How many halves make a whole?

Four?

Most of the people I work with are like that.

Comment

Half the people I know are shit at fractions. The other 2/3 make out just fine.

Comment

I was about to make a proportionate response, but thought better of it.

Comment

I have actually come across that narrative approach in a science context. It wasn't an instant hit with me.

For the same reason as math(s), or some other?

Comment

I recall econ, poli sci (political science), math, stat,* anthro, Am civ (American civilization), bio, chem, psych, but I can't remember if "soc" for sociology was like "sock" or "sosh."

Education is known as "educ." These days disciplines are referred to by whatever initials the on-line registration system gives them.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                        I have actually come across that narrative approach in a science context. It wasn't an instant hit with me.

For the same reason as math(s), or some other?
                        Similar. It misses out what's distinctive about the subject.

Comment

Is this the correct phrasing. Can something be '12 to 18 times less' something?
                          No. It's stupid.

Comment

Working...
                          X