Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of you are twats

It’s not that I think so.

Most of the blokes here, there’s bound to have been another member here who has called you a twat, either in the forums, or behind your back on an OTFathon (you don’t want to think about this last one too much)
    Or someone’s said it to your face in the pub.
    We, the blokes, have in the eyes of another, all been twats at one point.

On a more serious note.

I like the word, a lot. It’s one I learned to use through OTF. It’s a brilliant word.

But what with the women on OTF? What do I call them, if that moment would occur? Is it twatess, or do you never call a woman twat-anything?

Most of you are twats

Not unless you want to get twatted.

Comment

Most of you are twats

Don't be twatish (spelling?)

Comment

Most of you are twats

I'm very at ease with being someone else's twat. Cunt not so much, and I try to avoid cuntitude as much as I can, but I see being a twat as almost a kind of a badge of honour.

Comment

Most of you are twats

It's all a bit of a twit for twat, isn't it?

Comment

Most of you are twats

I've never been called a twat, but then I'm a twat so I probably wouldn't admit to it if I was.

I never realized there was a difference between twattitude and cuntitude. I'd like to hear an explanation of twat it is, though.

Comment

Most of you are twats

I am definitely a twat. I have been called it, online and off. They were right.

PPV: you are a twat for mentioning this.

Twat.

(yes, it does have a certain something to it)

Comment

Most of you are twats

oh, and twat-ette. Or twa... and then duck.

Comment

Most of you are twats

I don't like it. Twit is old fashioned and kind of harmless. twat is just cunt masquerading as less offensive, but it's more vulgar for it.

Comment

Most of you are twats

Lyra wrote:
                    twat is just cunt masquerading as less offensive...

Comment

Most of you are twats

Lyra, I thought that was the point. Isnt using 'cunt' just to BE vulgar?

There is a massive possibility that 'twat' is a very derogatory word, and of course it is, but like most things, is it not more to do with the context?

Comment

Most of you are twats

oh you twat Wyatt.

applause nonetheless

Comment

Most of you are twats

(after some serious Googling) twit just means to taunt. Someone calls me a twit, and I wonder what else they have given up for lent.

Comment

Most of you are twats

gerontophile wrote:
                            Lyra, I thought that was the point. Isnt using 'cunt' just to BE vulgar?

There is a massive possibility that 'twat' is a very derogatory word, and of course it is, but like most things, is it not more to do with the context?
                            the point is they mean the same thing but twat is for some reason more acceptable. but by this token I find it uglier and more kind of, perhaps cheap, than cunt, which at least has some kind of strength in its Anglo Saxon robustness. 'twat' just sounds more squalid when you say it.

Someone will be along any minute to tell me the etymology, wont they. I better go look it up.

Comment

Most of you are twats

Old Norse, there we go.

Origin:
                              1650–60; perh. orig. dial. var. of *thwat, *thwot, presumed mod. E outcome of OE *thwat, akin to ON thveit cut, slit, forest clearing (> E dial. (N England) thwaite forest clearing)
                              says dictionary.com.

I still think aesthetically it's more vulgar.

Comment

Most of you are twats

Fair enough. I wont call you that word... you forest clearing, you.

Comment

Most of you are twats

hehe. That's very sweet. I like that image.

Comment

Most of you are twats

'Twat' is what Jonathon Ross calls me.

Comment

Most of you are twats

you are a piano, and I claim my 4 poofs.

Comment

Most of you are twats

gerontophile wrote:
                                        you are a piano, and I claim my 4 poofs.
                                        Here you go...

Comment

Most of you are twats

lose the pouffes, some children may be harmed.

(Daily Mail readers to thread)

Comment

Most of you are twats

Lyra: Twit, twot and twat all come from twitchell, which is a damp/leafy passage - and a lovely word.

It's not as good as snicket though, while we're on obscure words for passages.

Comment

Most of you are twats

Thank you, thank you, thank you carcass... that Jim Carrey film will never be the same again.

Comment

Most of you are twats

the point is they mean the same thing but twat is for some reason more acceptable. but by this token I find it uglier and more kind of, perhaps cheap, than cunt, which at least has some kind of strength in its Anglo Saxon robustness. 'twat' just sounds more squalid when you say it.
                                                See, I actually agree with this entirely, speaking purely aesthetically, and I definiteley use "cunt" more than "twat", but for me the context of its usage maintains the traditional hierarchy of offensiveness. In the US, the harsh misogyny of the (typical) usage of "cunt" is exacerbated by the "robustness" of its sound - it's usually spat with real venom, at women, which makes it all the worse. In the UK the picture is more complex but the misogyny of usage (as opposed to origin) of either word isn't anywhere near as strong and "twat" is used as a softer insult so it doesn't come across quite as badly.

Now I certainly wouldn't use either word to actually refer to genitalia, but "twat" would seem worse to me if I did. Similarly, there's a bit of a movement among certain feminists in the US to reclaim "cunt" - one calls herself "Queen of Cunt Mountain". Even if "twat" had the same usage in the US as here, I can't imagine her calling herself "Queen of Twat Mountain".

Comment

Most of you are twats

Life is so much happier when you learn to embrace your inner twat.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X