Conyers takes stand against open access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm broadly speaking a fan of John Conyers, but he seems to be a bit of an ass when it comes to copyright issues. He's now sponsoring a bill to overturn the National Institutes of Health's open access research policy.

Yes, this is ridiculous. And on a similar matter, I found myself cheering for Joe Lieberman when he asked why the federal court system's online database charges for access.

Comment

To be fair, at least the US has a decent online courts system. Pacer is orders of magnitude better than what the UK has. You can get judgements online, but court filings and the like must be obtained by hand from the courts and are often confidential.

Comment

I've never used PACER, so I'll take your world for it. But charging for access? Doesn't seem right.

Comment

No, it doesn't, but it's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. It's 8c a page. Given that it takes about 30 minutes for me to find a court document in the UK (and I work directly opposite the court!) and we have to pay for the photocopying here anyway, I know which system I'd prefer.

Comment

Working...
          X