Things Only I Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things Only I Remember

SR's "hated animals" thread brought to mind some childhood TV memories, centred on Watch With Mother.

These memories stand out in particular because I've never found anyone who shares them, leaving me with the worrying impression they're the product of an overactive imagination.

1) Joe. His parents ran a roadside cafe/lorry halt thing. Joe always fucked things up.

2) A girl who had a flower on her dress. She got three wishes each episode. Her first wish normally involved an eskimo.

3) Pipe cleaners. Pogles Wood* featuring Pippin and Tog.

Go on. Tell me I didn't dream them up.

* Just googled the fuckers and they're there. Now what about those damned pipe cleaners?

(The first zero thread on the new board - it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine)

Things Only I Remember

You're certainly not alone in remembering Joe (scroll down to the last few paragraphs).

As I recall, a never-before broadcast episode of Joe was featured at a children's TV retrospective at the ICA last year. Can't find a link, though.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

I've only ever met one person who remembers Towser, a cartoon about a terrier made by the same people who did King Rollo.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

I've never met anyone else who remembers Rocket Robin Hood, but, then again, I'm not too surprised, as it was complete bollocks.

Also haven't met anyone who remembers the much better cartoon based (very, very loosely) on King Arthur.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

I remember Towser, and could have a fair go at drawing the fcuker from memory

Comment

Things Only I Remember

Something I swear I remember as a kid was the BBC weather studios being repaired, and the presenters having to do their forecasts surrounded by carpenter's benches and the like. Not even the people at TV Cream recall that ever happening, though.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

I dont know anyone who remembers that 'Pipkins' was originally called 'Inigo Pipkins' and had a theme tune that went,
              #Inigo Pipkins, Inigo Pipkins
              Inigo the puppet maker#

I should point out that at one point in my life L, S and D were my 3 favourite letters of the alphabet.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

gerontophile wrote:
                I should point out that at one point in my life L, S and D were my 3 favourite letters of the alphabet.
                Typical money obsessed Scot...

Comment

Things Only I Remember

I've never met anyone else who remembers Rocket Robin Hood, but, then again, I'm not too surprised, as it was complete bollocks.
                  No, I remember it. It was awful. And now it's airing again on Teletoon Retro where I'm again avoiding it as I search out '70s Scooby-Doo episodes for my kids.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                    Also haven't met anyone who remembers the much better cartoon based (very, very loosely) on King Arthur.
                    Would this be around 1976-ish? I remember a King Arthur cartoon, and the start was Camelot silouetted by lightning and a really fastly-sung intro? And thats about it.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

I also remember Pogles Wood, though I'm not sure how. No-one in my age group remembered it when we discussed Kids TV programs at school.

And looking at the site about it via google it says it was shown up until 1968 when I would have been 1(ish).

The plant was the best bit.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

For years (and years) I vaguely remembered seeing a show (when I was too young to quite figure it out) about rockets and people and stuff, only they weren't real people and they weren't cartoons. I couldn't quite explain to people what they were. Or what the show was about.

Of course, around 1990, I stumbled onto a re-airing of The Thunderbirds and realized that this is what had been bothering the nether-regions of my memory.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

CS: I think you might be thinking of Cloppa Castle.

There's an episode of it on YouTube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew-CwHFJyLI

Or perhaps not.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

twohundredpercent wrote:
                            CS: I think you might be thinking of Cloppa Castle.

There's an episode of it on YouTube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew-CwHFJyLI

Or perhaps not.
                            Thanks for that, but sadly, no. This one might even have been a Hanna-Barbera, so it was full-on animation.
                            My kids are now glued to the Mr. Men on you-tube!

Comment

Things Only I Remember

There's nothing in the list of Hanna-Barbera of releases that matches the description, so I'm pretty certain that it's not from there.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

Arthur and the Square Knights of the Round Table?

Comment

Things Only I Remember

The Fantastic Journey, with Roddy McDowell.

I became convinced during the 1990s that I must have dreamt that series, because no-one I ever met could remember it. Only wikipedia has reassured me that I didn't just make it up in my mind. It was like a 1970s precursor of "Quantum Leap".

Comment

Things Only I Remember

I looked Arthur and the Square Knights of the Round Table up on YouTube and I definitely remember seeing it, even if I had forgotten about it for thirty-odd years.

Dunno if it's the same thing that CS was thinking of, though.

Written by Rod Hull, eh? Well, fancy that. Truly a man of many talents.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

ursus arctos wrote:
                                      Yes!!!!!!!!! Thanks vey much Ursus! Theres some great footage on You Tube (I would've sent a link but I don't know how!)
                                      The strange thing is,though, it was made in '66, and I thought it was new in '76! Its the same with Spiderman! I thought it was new in 76/77, but it was made in '67!
                                      It was around this time I was big into Marvel Comics, and again around 76/77 I remember an announcement that "The Invaders" would be on next week, and thinking it was going to about Captain America, The Submariner, etc. And yet again, this was another programmme from around '67!

Comment

Things Only I Remember

The Fantastic Journey, with Roddy McDowell.
                                        I remember that as well, now you mention it (and having looked it up on YouTube).

Roddy McDowell was everywhere in the early 70s, and then all of a sudden he disappeared. I wonder what happened to him.

There are all sorts of shows like that, which you might have seen once or twice and then completely forgotten about. Some of them might have made an impression on you for one reason or another, but not on anyone else, so years later you come to think you imagined them.

There was a similar thread a while back when I mentioned a downmarket version of It's A Knockout featuring football clubs. For years, nobody I spoke to had any idea what I was gibbering about and I convinced myself I'd imagined it. Then a couple of people on here - unfortunately I forget who - reassured me that it did exist.

I've kind of figured out a reason for the phenomenon as well. When me and my brother were kids, we watched the BBC most of the time at home. We were allowed to watch ITV, but most of the time we didn't bother, because there wasn't all that much on that we were interested in, apart from maybe Magpie occasionally, and The Sooty Show. There was also that early evening slot when The Krypton Factor was on before Coronation Street.

The thing is, our grandparents were of slightly different social classes, so one lot always watched the BBC, and the others always had ITV on. I honestly can't remember either set watching the other channel. And when I saw those clips just now, my ITV Nana suddenly sprang to mind.

So my theory is this: the reason you remember these programmes and no-one else does is not because you dreamt them up, but because every other kid was watching Blue Peter or Roobarb and Custard on the other side at the time.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

I remember watching 'Watch with Mother' (sans mère) when I was a nipper (couldn't have been too much more than four), and one day the lady was telling us how to do something (make a toy soldier stay in the middle of a bottle of water, or something equally silly):

Lady: "And that's that."
                                          Me [to screen]: "I can't do it."
                                          Lady: "What's that? I'm sure you can."

Freaked me out.

Comment

Things Only I Remember

Cat Simon wrote:
                                            ursus arctos wrote:
                                            Yes!!!!!!!!! Thanks vey much Ursus!
                                            Ditto.

Forty years ago, and I'll swear that I've never seen it re-shown...

Comment

Things Only I Remember

Having to convert the prices of everything from £s.d. to decimal for my late Gran in the early '70s.
                                              The treasurer of our local Gaelic Games club held the position through in three currencies : £sd, decimal and now €.

Comment

Working...
                                              X