fit/fat and forty...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fit/fat and forty...

I went to my preferred bar today, and got off the bus early. 15 minute walk, no worries. Up and down a couple of hills, and then up the last hill... got to the bar, and couldnt speak because I had run out of breath. Literally.

Now, I am a slim person, generally, and have looked in the mirror and saw what others see. But I notice that I can pinch a couple of inches, and thats not good. (#Nobody loves a fairy when she's 40# etc)

I am worried that my past has caught up with me.

Help. I cycle everyday, I swim and I walk when I should get the bus (cant get my zimmer on). And I KNOW its happening....fucking hell, I am getting old.

HELP!!

fit/fat and forty...

I thought you fancied old men. You might start wanking more, that's exercise, I like to tell myself.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

I swim and I walk when I should get the bus
      Fucking hell, do you emerge dragging yourself up out of the riverbank, dripping wet and swearing and scaring schoolchildren?

"Healthy" eating is a minefield that I'm not sure anyone agrees on, from those that don't eat dairy to those that only eat vegetables. But dieting to lose weight has only ever - can only be ever - about one equation, calories in vs calories out.

I lost almost two stone in three months the year I got divorced, which I called the "C plan" diet (all I'd consumed in that time was chinese takeaways and cider). I seriously wouldn't recommend that as a weight-plan diet, though, to anyone else.

I've got mates who eat a full 16-oz steak and chips every lunchtime, but are as buff as fuck - they spend an hour in the gym every night. If I ate what they eat every lunchtime I'd look like Matt Lucas.

Calories in, calories out. No other answer.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

I think there's general scientific consensus that regular resistance training (free weights & machines) makes a big, big difference in offsetting the health effects of aging.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

I love the irony of you enjoying the effects of aging on others but loathing it for yourself.

But try doing what I did: give up sugar. I've got more energy now than I did when I was thirty, and I've only been off it since early December.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

At 45 regular resistance training has been great for me. Physical activities that left me exhausted and looking like a drowned rat are now achieved much more easily.

When the boys head to the cricket nets or play football at the park I go with them instead of being terrified of having a heart attack in front of them.

Don't do it for weight loss though as the muscle you develop weighs more than the fat.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
              I love the irony of you enjoying the effects of aging on others but loathing it for yourself.

But try doing what I did: give up sugar. I've got more energy now than I did when I was thirty, and I've only been off it since early December.
              Tried the sugar thing, and it sort of worked.

I know the answer to this, and its obvious: cut out the alcohol. If/when I do that, I should feel a million times better.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

How do you give up sugar? What reason is there to live without sweetness in your life?

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

Giving up Alcohol is wierd. For a week or so you actually blow up a bit (something to do with fluid levels, I think), and then, so long as you do some excercise, the weight just falls off you.

I stopped drinking for 3 months last year while I was training for a marathon and I lost 10kilo. This year I'm doing the same training but haven't stopped drinking and have only lost a couple, starting from more or less the same weight.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

I have been caning it for a few months now, so no wonder I feel and look like shit. (And my intelligence quotient on otf leaves a lot to be desired too, as no doubt some of you may have noticed)

But that aside, when I get through my daily lethargy of wondering what to do with myself, I am usually very energetic.

And, here's another thing I have noticed: (apologies, all) I am the least horny I have ever been, and even were an opportunity to present itself, I am not sure I could be arsed (fuck off) to do anything about it. This is most unlike me. Perhaps its not physical.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

Forget calorie counting--time to get a mirdle

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

"Healthy" eating is a minefield that I'm not sure anyone agrees on, from those that don't eat dairy to those that only eat vegetables.
                        The thing is, everybody is physically different, some might be lactose intolerant so do better to keep away from dairy products, but it doesn't mean that it's a 'minefield' the principles of healthy eating are no great secret, it's only as complicated as you want it to be.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

You can really tell how fat the guy would be without the mirdle. Amazing!

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

All you need is Discipline.

I can see that Mirdle making you very popular in Gay clubs though.

Not that i know as i do not go to gay clubs...... i only do birds etc etc.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

All?

You say that as if discipline is easy.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

gerontophile wrote:
                                I have been caning it for a few months now, so no wonder I feel and look like shit. (And my intelligence quotient on otf leaves a lot to be desired too, as no doubt some of you may have noticed)

But that aside, when I get through my daily lethargy of wondering what to do with myself, I am usually very energetic.

And, here's another thing I have noticed: (apologies, all) I am the least horny I have ever been, and even were an opportunity to present itself, I am not sure I could be arsed (fuck off) to do anything about it. This is most unlike me. Perhaps its not physical.
                                Gaining weight, low sex drive, lack of motivation. All classic signs of depression.

Hard as it is - exercise is one of the few things I've found that combats depressive thoughts.

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

amp: You may be right. Symptoms and reasons are all there, but I actually, mentally, feel fine, although desperate to get the fuck out of here for a break... but that's normal, no? (for everyone)

and ok... I could cycle more, but it has been snowing down here recently, and there's lots of hills...

Comment

fit/fat and forty...

Stumpy, that thing is wrong on so many levels.

TG: your 'popular in gay club' comment is wrong (re: the mirdle), on the other levels that Mr Pepys missed. Drag queen, ik ben niet. Although, I am developing breasts.

(I am going to fuck off over to film while I can still waddle)

Comment

Working...
                                    X