Beziers... any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beziers... any ideas?

Going there shortly, cant find any info... help please.

(actually, to Herepian, which is I assume, THE STICKS)

Beziers... any ideas?

Where do you stand on Rugby Union? Are you one of OTF's many Chasa Hatas? I think Beziers must be one of the places it would be properly great to watch a game of Rugby Union.

Comment

Beziers... any ideas?

Rugby and Cathars (much more the former recently, of course).

Nice location on a bluff above the Orb, though. I'm afraid I've never heard of Herepian, but from a food and wine point of view, it takes real effort to go wrong in Languedoc.

Oh, and the term for residents of Beziers is "Bitterois(es)", which is always good for a chuckle from Anglophones.

Comment

Beziers... any ideas?

The river Orb is really spectacular at points, although the probably weather won't be at the moment.

There are quite a few absolutely mindboggling viaducts around there, I think.

Comment

Beziers... any ideas?

whats this stuff like a) early morning, and b) fairly late at night, because I will be working inbetween?

Wyatt:, thanks... I had a wee look and it is very Perpignan - Pau country, and POW might be the word if I dont get either right.

Dont mind watching (non-league) club rugby, if time....

diggedy: after some serious googling, I find that there are some mindboggling locks and a canal (which I am almost literally on) with precipitous... in fact, shit scary heights. How do they do that on/near a canal?

Another problem... I am assured that it is in L'Herrault (sic), but Google disagrees... howso?

(thanks chaps, keep 'em coming)

Comment

Beziers... any ideas?

I've never been in the Languedoc, but there are lots of great underpriced wines in the area, so some solid wine tourism there as well.

Comment

Beziers... any ideas?

Cathars, cathars, and cathars. The residents of Bezier were the ones first slaughtered indiscriminately because "God will know his own".

Their legacy to the world is Cathare, a very, very soft goats cheese, that comes in a small thin patty with a thick skin, and a heretic cross etched on top in ash. I think you will agree, rapine and mass murder were a small price to pay for such a delicacy.

Also, yeah, definitely go see the rugby.

Comment

Beziers... any ideas?

sounds lovely... I do like a good raping and pillaging, so rugby is definitely IN.

Comment

Beziers... any ideas?

I stayed a few nights in Beziers during the Winter about 20 years ago. It was pleasant, but like most small to middle sized French towns it was pretty dead at night. Restaurants and not much else.

Given that small to middle sized French towns are now even more dead than they used to be then, I wouldn't expect any fireworks.

Montpellier, very near by on the train would be a better bet, if you really want something to do.

Personally, I'm still jealous though. A nice meal out (paid for), watch some football in a French bar, and then back to a nice warm hotel room with a good book. Pretty much my lifestyle once, now replaced by domestic drudge.

I once read that over 70% of French wine production came from the Beziers area, mostly plonk and vin de table. I can't back this assertion up, however.

The Cathar castles in the Corbiere are spectacular, particularly Perypetuse and Queribus, but they aren't really that close by.

Comment

Beziers... any ideas?

geronto, if you can drag yourself away from Cap D'Agde, Montpellier is a nice city to wander round.

Comment

Beziers... any ideas?

Some Languedoc wine is nowadays very very good indeed; like a good Rhone job or your fuller, riper end of Bordeaux, but at roughly half the price for a given standard. Some proper bargains to be had down there now, and the rest of France, which loves its snooty labels, doesn't know what's on its doorstep.

They still make that paintstripper stuff that they give to the Army, but less of it now.

Comment

Working...
                      X