American studio audiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, I’m not on a wind-up mission here, I’m genuinely interested how this has become.

Most American talk shows available here during the years, I can’t watch them due to this very annoying bit. Be it Letterman, Conan, Leno, Oprah, you name it. No matter how deep the subject, how interesting, no matter how witty the jokes, it’s all ruined. Even the Daily Show suffers from this incredibly annoying fact.

I was watching an episode of Saturday Night Live yesterday, one from recent years. Don’t ask me why I watched it as almost everything including the Wayne’s World pathetic duo and the church lady, which I include in the recent, have been lousy, and there it was as well, is always.

It’s enough that shows like Montel, Rachel Ray, Ricky Lake and anything they’ve done with a movie celebrity to host suffers from the fact that it’s crap on its own, but it becomes increasingly utterly vile when you add this annoying bit.

What I’m talking about is the high pitch “wooooooooooooooooooooo”, that American audiences make, all the bloody time.

Here’s an example, from a show I’ve only seen bits of a couple of times, but I dare wager it has among the most annoying audiences in this category.

There’s the short blurted out “woo!”
    You hear it right in the beginning when Tiger asks: “Do you wanna go first?”, and Ellen replies “Oh, alright”, there’s someone in the crowd doing that. Why the excitement over that!?

There’s the bit longer small choir one “woooooo”, which is usually heard when some guest utters he once drove through Palchantooga, or whatever hole in the ground, and among the audience of 100, five of them are from there, it seems. There’s always someone from whatever place is mentioned. Whatever the hell does the “wooooo” mean?

Then there’s the loud, long, annoying
    “woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo”
    Which you’ll hear when some author who’s written the new best seller “the ten things you should buy at a gas station” is guest, and the crowd is told they’ll each get a copy on their way out.

So where does this come from, this “woooooooooo”? Is it from the wild west day, is it a cousin to “yee-haa”?

Do audiences in Canada go “wooooooooooooooooo”, like they’re on a human air raid siren job interview?

Are the Americans the only that go falsetto “wooooooooo” all the time in talk shows?

Compare to this

There’s lot more reason to go “wooooooooo” here, but no one does, do they?

In Canada, audiences go "woooooooo, eh?"

Comment

Most of these shows have people that "warm up" the crowds before taping, get them excited, and basically coach them in cheering when they should. They're also encouraged during the taping by signs telling them when to clap and cheer.

Comment

The signs that say "apple sauce?"

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
          Most of these shows have people that "warm up" the crowds before taping, get them excited, and basically coach them in cheering when they should. They're also encouraged during the taping by signs telling them when to clap and cheer.
          We have them in Sweden as well, but we don't do high pitch "woooooooooooooo". It's more of a powerful noise. Do crowds go "wooooooooo" at football games as well?

Comment

"Hole in the ground"? Nice.

Comment

Ah, so that wasn't a cross-over from the miners' thread...

Comment

I think people 'woooooooooo' when they have no idea what else to do.

If you ever notice your local news station doing a remote feed from, say, the 'club district' on a Friday night, they'll inevitably end up interviewing a 5 or six girls out on a hen night of some kind. As they sign off and 'head back to the studio', all 6 girls will go 'wooooooo' right on cue.

Same goes for anyone lining up to see a big movie premier, or to get concert tickets, or for boxing day sales. It always ends with a big, pointless 'woooooooo' and then they all start laughing and looking at one another for some clue as to where the 'wooooo' came from and what it meant.

Comment

woo
                     /wu/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [woo] Show IPA
                  –verb (used with object)
                  1. to seek the favor, affection, or love of, esp. with a view to marriage.
                  2. to seek to win: to woo fame.
                  3. to invite (consequences, whether good or bad) by one's own action; court: to woo one's own destruction.
                  4. to seek to persuade (a person, group, etc.), as to do something; solicit; importune.

Comment

Heliotrope wrote:
                    "Hole in the ground"? Nice.
                    Well, yes, they can be, Bilbo basically lived in one.

Comment

I've always had a romantic dream of living in an underground house - I'm sure it was a feature on "Look North" once that set me off.

Comment

Seconded. Those eco-homes that are built into a hillside and only have south-west facing windows always look cozy and neat.

Comment

A cave house in Missouri is for sale. It used to be a rock club/roller rink, apparently.

Comment

There's an entire Roman town on the coast of Tunisia, Bulla Regia, that consists of underground houses. The cool thing is that because they're protected from the elements, they've left most of the mosaics in situ, something you very rarely get to see.

Comment

I'll be cold in my grave before I recognise Missoura.

Comment

All kinds of homes like that in France, called Maison Troglodites.

Comment

sw2boro wrote:
                                  I've always had a romantic dream of living in an underground house - I'm sure it was a feature on "Look North" once that set me off.
                                  Can it beat a house boat?

Comment

See, a house boat would be nice. But, location locat..., etc.

Houses I want -
                                    1. Bigger house in Middlesbrough - town house in Linthorpe, ideally
                                    2. House on cliffs at Saltburn
                                    3. Hobbit-type barrow in Whitby
                                    4. London pied-a-terre (sp?)
                                    5. Amsterdam houseboat
                                    6. tbc

Houses I'll have -
                                    1. Same house in Middlesbrough if I'm lucky.

Comment

sw2boro wrote:
                                      See, a house boat would be nice. But, location locat..., etc.

Houses I want -
                                      1. Bigger house in Middlesbrough - town house in Linthorpe, ideally
                                      2. House on cliffs at Saltburn
                                      3. Hobbit-type barrow in Whitby
                                      4. London pied-a-terre (sp?)
                                      5. Amsterdam houseboat
                                      6. tbc

Houses I'll have -
                                      1. Same house in Middlesbrough if I'm lucky.
                                      How about the last "houses" one would want to live in...

1. Eagle's Nest
                                      2. Neverland
                                      3. Playboy mansion (yes, I am dead serious)
                                      4. Beverly Hills
                                      5. Anywhere near where I could see Stadio delle Alpi or Stadio Olimpico di Torino from my window or whilst commuting.

Comment

My favorite thing to do when I'm out with friends (drunk, obviously), is to start "USA! USA! USA!" chants at the most random time and locations. It's almost pavlovian, it's rare that people just look at you like you're a total idiot and don't join in. It's sorta like the "Whoo!", except that if you "whoo" in public, most people just look away and try to not make eye contact.
                                        But if someone does that while you're chanting USA!, then you can do your best neo-con impression and ask them why they hate America so much. It's great to wind people up with faux-conservatism, Colbert style.

Usually, I'm drunk out of my mind, but I still recommend it. It's worth making an ass of yourself, just for the sheer spectacle of a full subway car chanting "USA! USA! USA!" at 2 in the morning.

Comment

radmonkey wrote:
                                          My favorite thing to do when I'm out with friends (drunk, obviously), is to start "USA! USA! USA!" chants at the most random time and locations. It's almost pavlovian, it's rare that people just look at you like you're a total idiot and don't join in. It's sorta like the "Whoo!", except that if you "whoo" in public, most people just look away and try to not make eye contact.
                                          But if someone does that while you're chanting USA!, then you can do your best neo-con impression and ask them why they hate America so much. It's great to wind people up with faux-conservatism, Colbert style.

Usually, I'm drunk out of my mind, but I still recommend it. It's worth making an ass of yourself, just for the sheer spectacle of a full subway car chanting "USA! USA! USA!" at 2 in the morning.
                                          Once after leaving a concert at the Hollywood Bowl, my friends and I were stuck in a pedestrian tunnel that leads out onto the street. We were all packed in there like sardines. All of the people I was with had gone to UCLA, like me, and I decided to start an 8-clap (a clap/cheer that UCLA fans do; demonstrated here by Ed O'Bannon). You start it by putting your arms up, and going "ooooooh" as you lead into the counting. I started doing that, my friends immediately joined in, as did a lot of other people in the tunnel. When we were finished, a fair number of people cheered, but then there was a chant of "U-S-C! U-S-C!" in response by some of the mouth-breathers around us. All in all, a moment that relieved some of the tension.

Comment

Working...
                                          X