Your day off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your day off

What are you doing on your day off? Or what would you do, if you had one?

I took the kids to school, then went back to bed for an hour or so, then did some web surfing whilst listening to the new Yeah Yeah Yeah's album (which starts with a couple of exceptional tracks, then peters out a little bit - not at all bad overall, though).

Then, I went for a walk around my old college - which is only over the wall at the end of the close, so not much effort required, and it's not like I don't see the bit of it closest to us every day; but they've erected a huge new 'Gateway Building' on the far side, a great, three-storey oblong of glass and slate designed to make the institution more appealing to visitors - at least, until they progress to the series of 1960's and 70's edifices with crumbling concrete and peeling paintwork that constitutes the rest of the campus. The strangest thing about the new construction is that they've left a remnant of the building that used to be in its place standing right next to it - the stage of the old Princess Margaret Hall, now, bereft of annexe, looking like it should be hosting an open-air concert. The stage where I once stood and performed rag week skits, the hall where the 18-year romance between myself and m'lovely wife first blossomed (that is, where we first became a couple; we didn't desecrate it with insalubrity). About a year ago, when they were part way through demolishing it, I stood amidst the dust and broken glass, remembering all the college balls that had been held there, and thinking how small it looked with most of the walls missing. I should have taken a photo of the stage today, detached and tarpaulin-swaddled. It's a bizarre sight. Perhaps they are preserving it for posterity. It might get a blue plaque.

Anyway, got to go and pick the kids up soon. Then I need to do some tidying up, we've got the wife of the Iranian Minister of Culture round for dinner.

Your day off

Every day is a day off for me...

Comment

Your day off

Mine was yesterday, a compressed working week is a wonderful thing.

Stayed in bed until about 9. Had boiled eggs and soldiers for breakfast whilst watching MOTD from the night before. Played Championship Manager until about 11, then went to the gym whilst listening to the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album. Really enjoyed the first couple of tracks, but the rest might need a few listens.

Met a friend in the Basketmakers for lunch, and having been to the gym managed to avoid the temptation of their sublime steak and ale pie, opting for a seafood risotto. Nipped to Sainsbury's for some shopping, went home and did some tidying before a mate popped in for a cup of tea. Played Pro Evo until my girlfriend came home and expressed her irritation that I'd failed to make a start on dinner despite her making it very clear that she was going out and would appreciate me making dinner to save time. Made dinner.

A compressed working week is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Your day off

Mine's today. And I'm at work. Poring over RBS's balance sheet for a highly speculative article. Not sure why i talked myself into that one

Comment

Your day off

Stay-at-home dads don't get a day off (takes out nails and begins hammering himself to a large cross).

Alternatively, there's a school of thought that says every day is a holiday for us. And indeed, every day of my life not spent beneath a strip light in a cubicle still seems like a blessing, even 13 years on. The stay-at-home dad recruitment pamphlet could try and sugarcoat it as: Coffee, OTF and the gym in the morning, the school run and live football on TV in the afternoon, read or go out drinking and to the cinema in the evening. On a very, very good day.

Comment

Your day off

My day off?

Today, I never work Fridays. I woke around 9am, showered, coffee and breakfast with a friend, cleaned my apartment, dealt with some irritating paperwork called my tax bill, from the UK, made poms poms for a tournament this weekend our school is hosting and then drove to the mountains for a treatment to my back.

Then I came home, read, looked smugly around my pad and thought, it is clean and am now preparing dinner for me and me. My kids have officially dumped me for respective boyfriend and girlfriend and they can sod off. Just me, me, and a dinner.

Interesting to read what you men do on your day off. I liked that.

Comment

Your day off

I had the morning off on Monday. The only thing I managed to achieve was to make an appointment at the dentists.

Comment

Your day off

I'm spending the entire weekend writing school reports.

Something I did last weekend too but then, last Monday evening, I inadvertently overwrote the finished reports with a blank template.

Fuck. Shit. Bollocks. Cunt.

Comment

Your day off

I have Mondays off, though I have to do a small amount of work at home on those days.

In recent weeks, I've been spending each Monday looking after one of my family's two dogs, a ten-year-old Jack Russell. My mam's house is being extensively refurbished at present, and it looks like a bomb hit it. Which means it is no place for a small hound charging around and barking at the strange men in their hard hats and fluorescent yellow vest-jackets. It would literally take only one stray brick to fall in the wrong place, and no more dog.

So she spends Monday with me and Tuesday-Friday with my sister, who works from home. You're not supposed to keep animals in the apartments where I live, but it's only for a few more weeks.

And in recent weeks, I've been bringing her for walks up to the National War Memorial, which is about five mins walk from my front door, and the existence of which I was unaware of until a few months ago. It's a beautiful place, even in the current crappy weather. At first it just looks like a run-of-the-mill park, but the deeper you progress into it, you come across all these ornate stone gardens and obelisks and monuments set atop little cliffs.

It's a great place to spend time, especially when sparsely populated in the early evenings as the light is just beginning to fade.

Comment

Your day off

Jon wrote:
                    I'm spending the entire weekend writing school reports.

Something I did last weekend too but then, last Monday evening, I inadvertently overwrote the finished reports with a blank template.

Fuck. Shit. Bollocks. Cunt.
                    I know how you feel, I spent last weekend doing exactly the same.

Comment

Your day off

Bummer ain't it, Sommer? (as Love very nearly sang) Without a doubt the worst part of my job.

What's worse was I've merely been writing what I had written the weekend before I wiped all trace of the reports from my laptop. Still not finished them but the end is in sight. Oh, a warm welcome by the way.

Comment

Working...
                      X