Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The dumbest thing you will read all week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Words fail me. But not, alas, Emily Friedman.

Don't reporters even have to pretend to know what they're talking about anymore?

Wow.

Although I see your: I must keep my income to $249,999 so that I don't pay 50% tax on the next dollar.

And raise you Melanie Phillips:

"the civil liberties lobby are to blame for the erosion of civil liberties, by giving people more civil liberties"

http://www.melaniephillips.com/articles-new/?p=648

Comment

But it's even worse than that in places. It's: I must keep my income below $249,999 so I don't have to pay higher tax on the whole thing. She thinks someone making $249,999 will take home more than someone making $250,001.

Comment

This week's contestant:

The doctors, lawyers, engineers, executives, serious small-business owners, top salespeople, and other professionals and entrepreneurs who make this country run work considerably harder than pretty much anyone else (including most of the chattering class, and all politicians). They are not robber barons, or trust-fund babies, or plutocrats, or even celebrities. They are mostly the meritocrats who worked hard in high school and got into the better colleges and grad schools, where they studied while others partied. They pushed through grueling hours and unpleasant "up or out" policies in their twenties and thirties at top law firms, banks, hospitals, and businesses to earn salaries in the solid six figures (or low seven) today — in their peak earning years. Their work ethic is prodigious, and, as Tigerhawk points out, in their spare time they sit on the boards of most of the complex charities and arts institutions that provide aid and pay for culture in America. No group of people contribute more to their community. And now the president, who followed a path sort of like that, and who claims that his wife's former six-figure income was a result of precisely such qualifications and efforts, is demonizing them. More problematically, he is penalizing their success and giving them very clear incentives to ratchet back on productivity.

Comment

Completely different subject but this is another contender

This type of book only creates and incites insights hate, violence and racism among races due to terms used in them, which are grossly degrading.

Comment

Yeah, he's wrong there, but you can understand how he gets to that point of view.

Listen, it's totally off the point, but:

"... we did inform the student ahead of him reading To Kill A Mocking Bird of its prejudicial nature..."

This is a head teacher. Is it too much to expect her to be functionally literate?

Comment

And:

"His class have finished To Kill A Mocking Bird, but he will still have to study it for his GCSE exam."

Shouldn't that be 'his class has finished'? Or is that another UK/NA thing?

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                This week's contestant:

The lawyers who make this country run work considerably harder than pretty much anyone else (including most of the chattering class, and all politicians). They are not robber barons, or trust-fund babies, or plutocrats, or even celebrities. They are mostly the meritocrats who worked hard in high school and got into the better colleges and grad schools, where they studied while others partied. They pushed through grueling hours and unpleasant "up or out" policies in their twenties and thirties at top law firms, banks, hospitals, and businesses to earn salaries in the solid six figures (or low seven) today — in their peak earning years. Their work ethic is prodigious, and, as Tigerhawk points out, in their spare time they sit on the boards of most of the complex charities and arts institutions that provide aid and pay for culture in Britain. No group of people contribute more to their community. And now the president, who followed a path sort of like that, and who claims that his wife's former six-figure income was a result of precisely such qualifications and efforts, is demonizing them. More problematically, he is penalizing their success and giving them very clear incentives to ratchet back on productivity.
                I entirely agree with these sentiments. Get back to work, chatters!

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                  Or is that another UK/NA thing?
                  Yeah, that.

Comment

I suspected.

Mrs WOM does it with "[insert name of grocer's] have cheese on sale", to which I reply "has". She blames it on her England years.

Comment

See here.

Comment

There's somebody writing thoughtfully about everything, isn't there?

Comment

This week it's drinking:
                          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-1162268/MELANIE-PHILLIPS-Low-prices-Piffle-The-real-reason-rampant-drinking-Labours-24-hour-licensing-free-all.html

I'm dubious of her hospital admissions figure- if it were true, wouldn't she base her whole article on it?

Anyhow the key figure is the change since the modest licensing extension in 2005. She's very quiet on that.

Comment

Unlike some of the others on this thread, that one isn't nonsense from beginning to end. The point where she really reminds us she's a loon is:

More invidious still, there were positive benefits from creating an ever-widening client state, with the burgeoning numbers of problem drinkers, gambling addicts and the myriad casualties of family breakdown creating a need for more and more therapists, counsellors and treatment agencies - whose workers, in turn, depended on the state for their livelihood.

Comment

Yeah, that's the best bit. Though "the last decade" stuff runs it pretty close- the licensing laws changed in 2005. It's like the way the Mail said devolution would undo "a thousand years if history", when the union wasn't even 300 years old. Unless they know something about Ethelred The Unready the rest of us don't.

Comment

I've hardly noticed any difference since the licensing laws changed. Only a handful of places I know have taken advantage of it, as far as I can see.

Comment

Yeah, which is presumably why she fails to compare the time before and after they changed.

The only 24 hour licence I know is Fabric. The possibility of beer monsters turning up there and paying £15 entry for the privilege (not to mention about £5 a bottle) is rather remote.

Comment

Working...
                                  X