The rise of rightwing nationalism - how it happens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got "invited" on facebook to join a group called "If you don't like our way of life, FUCK OFF AND LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!", whose charming introduction was,

The title says it all!

If you are not happy here. Just leave. Don't go forcing backwards cultures down our throats. Normally these groups of decent, proud Brits get hijacked by spotty, ignorant, unwashed lefties with nothing better in their lives than FB.

This one will be guarded more carefully

This group will be a place for ordinary people who are concerned about unchecked immigration to have their say.

Join this group if you do not want to be sneered at and threatened with death from the very people we hold our hands out to help.

Join if you are sick of being a stranger in your own land, if you are sick of a "certain religion" wearing veils in school and court when all the rest of us have to abide by existiing dress codes.

Join if you think it is mental that a naive christian woman has been victimised by backwards peasants for naming a cuddly toy Mohammed.

Join if you are angry that we cannot have a St George's day.

Join if you are angry that our kids cannot read Three Little Pigs in school, for fear of upsetting our "guests"

Join if you think that there are too many people being let in, takling our jobs in times of recession.

Join if you are sick of poorly informed, (generally) unhygenic, hysterical lefties screeching their views at you and believing that they have a god given right to their own point of view, but anyone else has no right to disagree...

Join if you think we have a right for us and our children to celebrate xmas in our sovereign land.

Join if you think that it is wrong for clerics from a "certain religion" to preech murder and hate while signing on the dole...

Join if you are sick of exceptions constantly being made for these bullying guests, because our politicians are to scared to rock the boat.

Join if you are sick of your customs and the country you grew up in being chipped away.

Join if you think that open door immigration has failed, and that their should be a points system aimed at letting in those who will BENEFIT our society.

Join if you agree that a condition of entry to our great land should be the taking of an oath of pro British values.

Have you ever noticed that lefties are unable to create large groups? The only thing they can do, is wait for decent, right thinking folk (with popular views) to gather together, then steal those groups.

Aint gonna happen here.
    I've declined to "join" this group, because I don't consider myself an "unwashed" lefty, and am very suspicious that the "British" values espoused are anything of the kind.

I also don't have anything like the bottle to bombard this "group" with precisely the kind of feedback I think it deserves, but some of you might like to...

Strangely, I noticed today that one of my "friends" from college has joined this group. I am not sure how I am going to approach this tomorrow.

The Definitive "I Hate Illegal Immigrants" Group
    Global
    Basic Info
    Type: Common Interest - Beliefs & Causes
    Description: Do you hate Illegal Immigrants? Do you wish they would learn English, pay taxes, and stop raping our economy??

Yup, me too. I live in Texas, North Houston to be exact, and truth be told.. I'm damn tired of hearing Spanish. Get off your fat, lazy asses, become a citizen, start speaking English, and contribute to society!!! Its fine for you to speak your native tongue, don't get me wrong, but for the love of god keep that crap at home.

I'm tired of going to McDonald's and hearing "Que? No habla english." THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE?!

I'm tired of seeing illegal immigrants hopping fences and crapping out kids. There are enough of you over here thanks, go back to Mexico and have your kids.

I'm tired of people coming over here, not paying taxes, and sending their money back to Mexico.

I'm DAMN TIRED of seeing Mexican flags. I swear to god we're going to have to start hanging them right under the good 'ol US flag pretty soon.

I'm tired of not being able to get a job because you don't speak Spanish. Why do WE have to learn THEIR language?!

Now don't get me wrong, there are some people that come over here from Mexico, go through the system, become citizens, and lead perfectly normal lives. Thank you, I commend you, and i'm sorry that these dumb ass wetbacks give you such a bad reputation. For the rest of you... please go back to Mexico, we don't want you here

Comment

Send them a virus.

Comment

Oh god, people talking Spanish in Texas. I am shocked! Shocked I tell you!

Anyway, someone in Texas telling Mexicans to go back to "their country". Is an idiot and probably not a long-time Texan.

Most of school Texans have a good appreciation for Mexican culture and people. Except Texas have a lot of transplants that drown them out.

Comment

radmonkey wrote:
          Anyway, someone in Texas telling Mexicans to go back to "their country". Is an idiot and probably not a long-time Texan.
          Um, seriously? Have you ever been to, say, Odessa-Midland? Betcha $10 I'll find a very long-time Texan within 10 minutes who loathes Mexicans more than anything, ever.

Not disputing the "idiot" bit, mind you.

Comment

Well maybe not that part of Texas, I was thinking more along the border.

Comment

Send them a virus
              Preferably Ebola.

Comment

There was a story on the BBC TV Politics Show yesterday about the forthcoming St George's Day parade through West Bromwich. The local Council is worried that the fancy dressers, quirky floats and the like will be joined by some BNP activists with a FTP band from Belfast as rhythm section.

There's no Garvaghy Road in the Sandwell Borough area, although they do have a pleasant suburb called Londonderry...

Comment

... a FTP band from Belfast...
                  As they're loyalists, this would make them FTP Servers?

Comment

The irony of the guy I mentioned is that, of course, he lives in Bath not in Texas. We don't have many Mexicans in Bath and most people don't speak Spanish.

In this spirit, I don't want to generalise but the guy is also an ex-squaddie. Make of that what you will.

Comment

Bored of All the Beasts wrote:
                      The irony of the guy I mentioned is that, of course, he lives in Bath not in Texas. We don't have many Mexicans in Bath and most people don't speak Spanish.

In this spirit, I don't want to generalise but the guy is also an ex-squaddie. Make of that what you will.
                      We should just be grateful he wasn't a General or the Gulf War could have oh so different.

Comment

I may have mentioned before that in court a year or so ago, I saw a barrister (successfully) try and avoid a custodial sentence for his client after pleading guilty to racially-aggravated assault on the grounds that he was in the army and was needed in Afghanistan. Because of course, ill-disciplined racists are just what we need to represent British interests overseas.

Rogin, are you arguing that right wing nationalism rises through the medium of social networking sites?

Comment

I wouldn't argue anything from one piece of evidence, but it's demonstrable even from that that rightwing groups are using social messageboard sites to stir up this kind of thing - the reason I got forwarded it was because one of my "FB friends" - a lad I play snooker with - had "joined" this group, so as is the way with facebook, they'd posted invitations to all his mates as well.

I doubt Facebook has a political philosophy, nor should one be assumed of it by its users. It's only the electronic version of a public noticeboard/chain letter/handing out flyers on the street hybrid, and as such is bound to be employed by people with all sorts of agendas.

Comment

We did presentations on major religions in college on Friday.

I did a 10 minute 13 slide Powerpont presentation on Judaism which went into the central tenets, history and symbolism of the faith. It took me about 8-10 hours in total to research and put together

I was followed by a guy that took out four pages of hand written notes and rambled like Marlon Brando. At first, I thought he was just very nervous but, after a couple of minutes, I realised that he had done no research at all.

He called the disciples "Jesus' best mates", told us that the Christian year ran from "Christingle to St George's Day" and, at one point, I am sure he was trying to tell us that the Easter Bunny was in the Bible.

Someone clapped at one point to try and get him to stop but he said he had more. He went onto mention about Moses coming down from the mountain and starting a gold calf religion, started shaking his head and exasperatedly saying that "people are around the Christmas tree, opening presents and the baby Jesus is being born". He ended by saying that "the difference between Catholics and Christians is that Catholics believe in God and...." before stumbling to a halt.

He also managed to sing a couple of lines of "Away in a manger, no crib for a bed, The little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head"

I thought I was going to explode from trying to stop laughing. It would have made factastic stand-up. A friend of mine saw him the night before in the library and he said he had only just started his research then fell asleep while she was talking to him. When she saw him the next day, she asked how he had done, he said he was going to wing it.

I only mention this as he has been accepted by UWE to do a Law degree. I really hope that he is really really good at Law.

Comment

There was a BNP business card on the ledge of the cashpoint the other day. I picked it up as I didn't want it to fall into the hands of someone less middles class than me such as a builder or a Black, but haven't thrown it away - I had an idea I could use it somehow to annoy them, but's going to be tricky as there's just a PO Box. It's currently mouldering on my kitchen floor.

Comment

It is to annoy cunts like this that I make a gleeful point of failing the Tebbitt Test at every opportunity.

I mean, I actually do follow cricket a bit now, just to know and enjoy when England are failing.

Comment

really hope that he is really really good at Law.
                                  Don't worry. If that's his attitude to "research" (never mind just er, basic general intelligence, of which he appears to demonstrate little) he won't be.

Comment

I had an idea I could use it somehow to annoy them, but's going to be tricky as there's just a PO Box.
                                    That's easy. Stick the address on every bulk marketing list you can find.

Comment

Abu Al Torotoro wrote:
                                      It is to annoy cunts like this that I make a gleeful point of failing the Tebbitt Test at every opportunity.

I mean, I actually do follow cricket a bit now, just to know and enjoy when England are failing.
                                      That's an epic fail of the Tebbit Test. At least the ethnic Jamaicans, Indians, Bengalis and Pakistanis he was on about weren't just doing it out of spite...

(I could see you falling for cricket in a big way, actually.)

Comment

Wa ayat al Urbi wrote:
                                        At least the ethnic Jamaicans, Indians, Bengalis and Pakistanis he was on about weren't just doing it out of spite...
                                        Oops, sorry Sri Lanka.

Comment

I am setting fire to the exam paper and loudly demanding my apocryphal ceremonial sherry.

Comment

Apparently (in thie morning's papers) "cricket" was - shock horror - invented by the Belgians, anyway ...

Comment

The facebook group Rogin started this with is very close in name and spirit to the one Yunus Bakhsh's formerly anonymous accuser turned out to be a member of, leading to him losing his job and his union dumping him too.

See 'Private Eye' for a decent account of the scandal. This week's, i think-with the 4 bankers on the front.

Comment

I wouldn't argue anything from one piece of evidence, but it's demonstrable even from that that rightwing groups are using social messageboard sites to stir up this kind of thing - the reason I got forwarded it was because one of my "FB friends" - a lad I play snooker with - had "joined" this group, so as is the way with facebook, they'd posted invitations to all his mates as well.
                                                It did occur to me that it may be some virus or something but I think I am being naive.

I have since found out that my lawyer friend has been doing all night shifts as Asda so, maybe, I have been too harsh on him

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                                                  There was a story on the BBC TV Politics Show yesterday about the forthcoming St George's Day parade through West Bromwich.

The local Council is worried that the fancy dressers, quirky floats and the like will be joined by some BNP activists with a FTP band from Belfast as rhythm section.
                                                  Surprised the latter, given their unionist/loyalist links to the BNP and friends, don't get a harder time of it on here?

Certainly an objectionable bunch and these fascists are at the forefront of any activity conducted by this crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X