WiFi on Virgin/National Express trains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever used the WiFi provided on Virgin and National Express with their laptop? If so, what's it like? Is it reliable?

Fairly reliable, yeah. A tad slow and intermittent, I wouldn't try and torrent anything on it. But it's pretty good, especially for a free service.

Comment

Cool, thanks. I'm wondering whether to bring my laptop and try playing some online poker on my way to and from Glasgow this weekend. I'll probably start on low stakes and see how the connection holds up.

Comment

What's the interim verdict on Branson's trains, anyway?

Comment

I wish I hadn't opened this thread. I'm off to York this weekend and was going to bring my laptop along to do some work on the train. All my good intentions will go to fuck if there's free wifi available on the train. Here's hoping my train isn't a Virgin or National Express one. And since when did a coach company start running trains anyway?

Comment

In my experience, Virgin don't have WiFi. Although it's been a couple of months; guess I'll find out if they've started to provide it tomorrow on my schlep from Euston to Carlisle.

GNER / National Express do provide it though - and it's flaky as fuck. Don't plan on getting much done.

Comment

Do they have it on Virgin yet?

The trains aren;t much cop; they have half first class and half standard, whereas the old configuration was 3/5. You often go on in cattle class with standing room only and half the fucking train empty. Twats. Still, that's the dynamic enterpenuerialism you get when you get the private sector to risk everything. Oh, hang on.

Comment

Virgin don't do the East Coast Main Line, so you're in luck. Virgin trains are annoyingly dimly lit, with low windows and toilets whose alarm facility is forever being inadvertently activated.

I don't give a fuck whether they've got WiFi or not though. Turn your computer off and read a book or go to sleep. Or even have a real-life condversation with another human being.

Comment

NHH - cheers for the optimism. I'm catching a Virgin train next week. It's first time I've caught a train since passing my driving test 6 years ago, and my first evertrip on Branson's trains. Basically I can't b arsed to drive 450 mile round trip on my todd, so thought I'd relax. Was already fuming at having to cough up £90 quid for the cheapest possible priviledge. I take it reserved seats won't help me then?

Comment

Reserved seats will help, provided they haven't overbooked the train. In this event, they cancel all reservations, which means some smug cunt sitting in your seat, telling you that "all reservations have been cancelled" as you stand in front of them, trying to suppress the urge to kick their nipples off.

Ahem.

If you book far enough in advance, you can get cheap fares. My fare from Euston-Carlisle for tomorrow evening is £28; the return on Monday £19.

Comment

I wish I hadn't bothered now, only found out this week I've gotta job interview in Somerset. Figured that even £90 was better than potential fuel and break down costs on my old fiesta. Only problem was worried about was finding the travelodge I've booked. Now hoping for a quiet train, ironically enough went for train cos figured it'd be cheaper and more relaxing!

Comment

Nah, you'll be fine. Take an mp3 player and a book, and zone out. It's still more relaxing than a drive, I was just taking the opportunity to vent a little.

Oh, and if you fancy a beer (or a sandwich, or some crisps, or any kind of refreshment really) buy it before you board. The buffet car is ruinously expensive. Or at least it is if you're Northern.

Comment

Cheers, bit reassured, bout time my iPhone came in useful!

Comment

Out of interest, which carriage are you reserved in?

Comment

D both ways. Vaguely aware that's the shop carriage, like I said, cheapest ticket could get.

Comment

C is the shop carriage, so you should be OK. Ideally, if it's quiet (i.e. not full) head off to carriage A which is the designated "Quiet Zone". Supposedly no mobiles, etc.; which isn't quite true, but it's certainly quieter than the rest of the train.

Comment

Depends how days going, prob gonna have ipod stuffed in ears all way, so long as I've a seat without people constantly coming and going I'll be fine, satisfied not in with the shop, tend to have a policy of buying random objects when gotta stare at them all afternoon, regardless of cost.

Comment

I make it sound like the Darjeeling Express, when it's at least bearable. You will be fine, but like I said the buffet is expensive and it can be crowded.

As you're getting on at the start of the journey you'll get your seat, so no worries.

Comment

Cheers, although didn't realise it was the start, always thought only train that starts and terminates in Sheffield was the local trundler from Barnsley!

Comment

Ah. That was Hof who is getting on at the start. In any event, no need to worry. Friday day travel is usually quiet on most routes except the London ones.

Comment

No there isn't wi-fi on virgin cross country. I'm sat on one now and it's not detected anyway.

And yes reservations had been cancelled and the prediction of some smug git was scarily acurate. Still hopin he'll fuck off at Birmingham so I get my window seat which was my one request of Virgin trains.

Comment

Working...
                                          X