How do respond on the phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to find that "Hello, you're on red" imparts a sufficient sense of gravity and orgency.

Otherwise, a simple, irritated, "Yes?"

Comment

In Portugal people (used to at least) answer the phone with 'sto (I think the spelling of the actual word being abbreviated/swallowed up in the manner of European Portuguese speakers is actually estou). Anyway it means "I am", which I think is a marvellously surreal and/or philosophical thing to say when picking up the phone. I have no idea if things have changed in the mobile phone era. Perhaps now it is "I am being"

Comment

It's fairly standard in Spain to answer the phone with Dime or Digame, effectively the imperative for 'tell me'. This has often come across to me as being rather impatient.

Comment

Moshi moshi means something like "testing testing".

Comment

In Mexico most people answer by saying "Bueno" (good) except I tend to say "Hola!" which throws people off.
            I also throw lots of "umms" and "ok" in my Spanish, terrible habits but I can't help it.

Here, I say "uhhhhh......." or some sort of grunt. But about half the time I don't bother answering, I leave it for voice mail. I'm sort of terrified of speaking on the phone with strangers, that and needles.

Comment

Lodzubelieveit wrote:
              It's fairly standard in Spain to answer the phone with Dime or Digame, effectively the imperative for 'tell me'. This has often come across to me as being rather impatient.
              Therer is a certain demographics (grumpy working-class males over 50, I would say - think Luis Aragonés) that tends to answer the phone with an impatient A ver!, said in the voice you would use to address cattle. To my ears it sounds like Fuck off!.

Comment

I like Di mi in Italian as a phrase type thing, you know, like a classy version of 'what's up?'

I also like when Calvin answers the phone andsays Hello, I'd like a large pizza with extra cheese please just to freak the caller out.

Comment

If the person'd name or number come up and I recognise it I say the person's name..

"John!"
                  "Helen!"
                  "Mr P!"
                  "Oli!"

Comment

Wa ayat al Urbi wrote:
                    I have a two-syllable surname beginning with R, so I always half-wanted a job where I could pick up the phone and snarl my surname into it
                    Can that actually be done with Rothschild?

Comment

Lyra wrote:
                      I like Di mi in Italian as a phrase type thing, you know, like a classy version of 'what's up?'
                      Dime in Spain too when you know the caller.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                        Can that actually be done with Rothschild?
                        In the original German it definitely could. "RrrrrrOHHHTshillt!"

Comment

unfortunately dimmi is sort of what you say when you're a shopkeeper waiting to take someone's order, rather than a mate on the phone

Comment

Working...
                          X