How do respond on the phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, back in the days, when a wee lad, when I lived with my folks, I used to respond with our full number as I picked up the phone.

26 33 92!

Like people didn’t know which number they’d just dialled.

It was very common, for people to respond with their own phone number blurted out. I don’t think anyone does nowadays. Another common version was to exclaim your last name as you answered the phone.

Larsson, you could hear from the other end.
    Like you didn’t know which family you called.

Once reaching my teens, I dropped the blurting out of own phone number and simply uttered a “Yes!”, in English, not Swedish.

Thinking about it, I don’t hear either phone numbers being replied with, or last names. It’s a simple “hello”, now. I think it all went that way with the mobile boom.
    How about you, what’s passing your lips as you pick up the phone?

Ahoy hoy.

Comment

I have a two-syllable surname beginning with R, so I always half-wanted a job where I could pick up the phone and snarl my surname into it the way Regan did in the Sweeney. I think it would work really well. But I bet not even the coppers do that now.

Comment

I'm sure the practice of answering your phone with your number here was discouraged since men making dirty phone calls apparently did often punch in some random numbers until a woman answered, and giving out your number could result in the victim being targeted again.

On that point, do dirty phone calls still happen, or have they been made obsolete by sex lines/the internet?

Comment

I was reading a thread on this in the archive the other week & my favourite now is "it's your dime".

Comment

Wa ayat al Urbi wrote:
            I have a two-syllable surname beginning with R, so I always half-wanted a job where I could pick up the phone and snarl my surname into it the way Regan did in the Sweeney
            Rogin?

Comment

That's what Bugs Bunny said: "Ehhhhh, start talkin, it's your nickel!"

Comment

I'm sure the practice of answering your phone with your number here was discouraged since men making dirty phone calls apparently did often punch in some random numbers until a woman answered, and giving out your number could result in the victim being targeted again.
                Couldn't they just use redial?

Anyway, at work I respond with "Hello, [publication name]". On my mobile it's usually "Hey" or "Yello".

Comment

This is why I don't like talking on the phone. Brrr.

If forced to answer a phone I will usually still go Good morning/afternoon/evening, [company name], Lyra speaking, how can I help? because I wasn't allowed to ignore it at work.

Comment

Depending on my mood, you'll get a grunt which might approximate a "hello" if you are charitably inclined in your interpretation of grunts, or a quizzical hello. Anything too friendly might suggest that I actually welcome being disturbed in the middle of writing a post on OTF.

Comment

Hey, how ya doing? Sorry, you can't get through, why don't you leave your name, and your number, and I'll get back to you.

Comment

GY, having tracked down the source of this advice to the 1986 Readers Digest What to do in an Emergency (which, bizarrely, I read obsessively as a child), I suspect it was from the days before new-fangled push button phones with redial functions etc.

Comment

At home or on the mobile, hello.*

External calls at work, [organisation name] [my full name].

Internal calls at work, hello [my first name] speaking.

* Like anybody ever rings me up.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                            Ahoy hoy.
                            I hope you do the voice.

Comment

How do!

Comment

You realise it doesn't come from Mr Burns, don't you, Toby?

Sorry, I was trying to think of a less condescending way of putting that

Comment

Well, 'ahoy hoy' comes from Mr Burns.

'Ahoy' came from Mr Bell hisself.

My least favourite ever was the woman from our London counterpart agency who used to pick up with "Can I help?"

Comment

I was reading a thread on this in the archive the other week & my favourite now is "it's your dime".
                                    You're welcome.

Comment

Yello, hobbes.

The fun thing is, this thread is almost an exact replay of the memory I have of the previous thread, except PPV (I think) started it all off going on about he answered the phone saying "yes" which caused more outrage last time.

Comment

Well, I was going to post an outraged reply on that, but I suppose there no point now.

Comment

ian.64 wrote:
                                          How do!
                                          Yeah, I keep reading the thread title in Mel B's voice.

Comment

Usually, nowadays, I can tell who is ringing and therefore greet them with a "Hello (whoever). Otherwise, a suspicious "Hello?" like a bloke peeping out over the chain across a partially opened apartment door, addressing two health officials who are making door to door enquiries concerning complaints about a very strange smell coming from the building's drains.

Comment

Have you been dumping Stella down the drains again?

Comment

With audible suspicion and discomfort.

Comment

over here you have to respond 'pronto'(ready) which makes life simpler.

I never know what protocol to follow with caller display though... should you greet the caller by name or not? I often solve this problem by just not answering the phone at all, since it generally induces vague feelings of guilt and alarm.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X