More dodgy boozers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More dodgy boozers.

You know me with my anglophile e-tourism...

Anyway, someone linked to a great blog a while back called Dodgy Boozers. A search turned it up again, plus this great photo collection of genuine hell-holes on Flickr. Hit slideshow on the top right and enjoy. And be sure to mention if you've drunk in any of 'em.

T'is here.

More dodgy boozers.

I reckon I've probably worked in most of them.

Comment

More dodgy boozers.

Avoid a) the nearest pub to any railway station, or b) any pub with the word 'Railway' in it's name.

Comment

More dodgy boozers.

I've drank in the Seven Stars. Shithole, but it wasn't Wigan's or even central Wigan's maddest pub. Nothing particularly stood out about it. I've seen "nice" old grannies selling temazepan to smackheads and one man fighting with a wall in another Wigan boozer, all in the same day.

The wall won comfortably by the way.

I may have had a drink in the Wee Man before a Celtic game. If it's actually on Gallowgate then I've been in it. If not it was one exactly the same, just opposite Baird's, going towards the ground. Inside it's sort of green tartan but pretty spick and span. Decent little pre match pub.

The Penny Farthing is one of the few central Liverpool pubs I've never been in. It is rough, and it's around the corner from loads of nice pubs so you just wouldn't bother.

It's not the roughest or roughest looking pub in Liverpool either, that'd be one of the London Road gaffs, Dixie's bar perhaps. The best mad Liverpool pub was St Georges, a proper drinking den populated by near comatose old Chinese fellas glued to the racing, and a swearing parrot.

Very good jukebox though.

Comment

More dodgy boozers.

I'm not sure those closed down ones should count.

Comment

More dodgy boozers.

Harry Lime wrote:
            I've drank in the Seven Stars. Shithole
            I suspect the word "star" in the name is also not a positive sign. I used to go past The Star Bar on the bus each day.

I wouldn't like to nominate a pub I've never been in, but the "3 course meal for £2" you can see on the banner always made me wonder.

Comment

More dodgy boozers.

alloneword wrote:

I wouldn't like to nominate a pub I've never been in, but the "3 course meal for £2" you can see on the banner always made me wonder.[/quote]
              It's something I've discussed on many a drunken evening. We've long since came to the conclusion of:

Soup

~

Pie & Beans

~

Individual Fruit Trifle

Comment

More dodgy boozers.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought, except perhaps Asda's own cheap Vanilla ice cream for pudding.

Welcome to OTF.

Comment

More dodgy boozers.

Fucking hell! The first photo in that Flickr group is of the Star and Garter. Nothing dodgy about the Star and Garter.

Except in a good way, of course.

Comment

Working...
                  X