Shit banks make my sodding blood boil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a repeat of my rant on Facebook. Let's share rants!

These nasty sods don't care how long you've been a customer. Since 1991 I put up with their indiscretions but, alas, along has come the final straw.

I mistakenly wrote a £6 cheque using the wrong chequebook - one for a business account that had not been used and I had forgotten about. That's my bad, I know. HSBC didn't contact me to tell me I was being hit for £8 a day in charges. I wasn't notified and the account doesn't show up in the online banking beside the current account. So HSBC let the debt get to £141.40 and closed the account, referred the debt to their condescendingly mean MCS debt collection arm (Who found me immediately of course). I paid (Not much choice) and then had to complain and issue a request for their black mark on my previously spotless credit record to be removed.

You don't suppose they do this sort of thing deliberately? Me of course I wouldn't suppose because HSBC has lawyers. Luckily I am allowed to say HEY HSBC's lawyers....go fuck a GOAT!

My request to meet half way on the charges was thrown out. In a 2-page letter, unctuously oozing condescension from its very fibres, HSBC explained that I was free to find a sharp metallic object and enjoy swivelling on it....or words to that effect. The letter contained the word 'sorry' used in such a way I could feel the "Service Improvement Officer" - yes, you read that right....gloating and laughing at me.

And for dessert, she gave me the news that they would leave the black mark on my credit report as - I quote - " It would be inappropriate to remove the information held from the Credit Reference Agency records as it accurately reflects the operation of your account" FUCK YOU, HSBC THIS MIDDLE FINGER OF MINE ACCURATELY REFLECTS THE OPERATION OF MY FEELINGS!

18 years as a loyal customer, paying the premium to borrow money from you and letting you get away with derisory rates of interest. What a mug! By the way check HSBC's much heralded **limited edition** Onlin Bonus saver's rates now. Mattress more attractive by the day.....

Obviously it's not simple changing bank accounts and I am in the middle of emigrating to Australia so affairs need settling. Suffice to say once that is done I am dropping this nasty organisation like a hot potato. 18 years dammit!

Shitty behaviour.

The one thing I'd say is, it's fair enough if they have no discretionary powers over the credit reference thing - otherwise every one of their chums would just get all the stuff routinely ignored, which is more or less what has buggered the economy.

But it should never have got remotely near that point, and they should reimburse you forthwith. Fucking clowns.

Comment

Yeah, you can have a go at claiming that money back and having them remove the default. It can be a pretty tortuous process, though.

Comment

Hey Max,

I can hook you up with the Bank I work for in advance of you getting here if it helps. Not necessarily saying we're better than any other, but if it helps any, let me know by PM and I'll make sure someone gets in touch.

Oh, and it's not HSBC.

Comment

There are Shit Banks now? I've donated to Blood Banks in the past, and I've heard of Sperm Banks, but I didn't know people were after my stools. Do you get paid for donations?

Comment

Abu Al Torotoro wrote:
            Shitty behaviour.

The one thing I'd say is, it's fair enough if they have no discretionary powers over the credit reference thing - otherwise every one of their chums would just get all the stuff routinely ignored, which is more or less what has buggered the economy.

But it should never have got remotely near that point, and they should reimburse you forthwith. Fucking clowns.
            The guy in the Exeter High Street branch who helped compile the complaint said that removing the black mark is as easy as....ok....click...delete....done.

Comment

It is, but it's all a question of technicalities. They're required to keep an accurate record of what happened (ie, they can't - or shouldn't - remove a default because someone "thinks it's not right", as a bargaining tool to settle or redeem an account, or whatever) so it's a matter of disputing that what they did was technically right (which, legally speaking, I suspect it probably was) rather than morally right (which I don't think it was).

Like I say, you can claim the money back, but it'll take months. Defaults have two statuses on your credit file - satisfied and unsatisfied - and, if you've paid it, one satisfied default for £141 isn't going to bust your credit file in two. If you're leaving the country soon, it doesn't make much difference anyway. Depends on how angry you are about the principle of it and how much spare time you have, I guess.

Comment

Defaults have two statuses on your credit file - satisfied and unsatisfied - and, if you've paid it, one satisfied default for £141 isn't going to bust your credit file in two.
                I beg to differ. I've got one for £250 from a debt I had no idea existed (I thought it was paid off fully - it was the last payment on something four years ago) and that I paid in full the moment it was brought to my attention. Lenders won't touch me with a shitty stick.

Comment

I should apply the "banks and finance companies make the rules up for credit scoring as they go along" caveat at this point. Do you regularly check your credit file, Hobbes?

Comment

Oh yeah. In fact I checked it just the other day when turned down for a loan by my bank because of "an issue on my credit file."

Comment

I was going to do something along the lines of "Blood banks make my sodding shit boil", but I think Rogin's rather mined that particular seam of comedy.

Comment

Working...
                      X