You learn something new every day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What new fact have you learned recently?

Mine: I learned that the term "lurgy", used to refer to a non-specific, generally minor, ailment was coined by Spike Milligan in the Goon Show (which I'm sure is old news to many of you).

I learned that when I send a letter with two first class stamps, and hand it over the post office counter, they treat it like the old fashioned recorded delivery.

I also learned that when you cough, with a tube up your nose, your other faculties, move, because they feel sorry for the one that moved them (cant think of the word).

Although the latter is actually previous to today, and doesnt count.

This is going to be a very good thread...

Comment

I learnt there is a Club Obi Wan in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

I am also researching Judaism for a presentation I have to give on Friday so I am learning a fair amount there.

Actually, I am at college so I am suppose I am learning loads of new things every day

Comment

Today I leant that when you dont have a PS3, you can get online options... I cant say where or they will have to kill me.

I learnt that when Arsenal are good, they win 1-0. I watched that again, and Roma were lucky to get nil... although it could easily have been 4-3.

I (rewatching 'West Wing') realised that Martin Sheen may be a god. Did anyone see him on the thing with the hairy twat and the bespectacled northern queen?

Comment

I learned that today is a good day to listen to:

this guy

Couldnt find the song, but you know...

Comment

Enquiring its name of fellow passengers on the Transalpine express train to Milan, I discovered that Lac du Bourget is actually the largest in France. Although at only 45 km^2, you can imagine the reply. "Mais en mon pays, nous avons..."

Comment

Today I learned that I love someone more than I thought.

My friend is on that flightpath (other thread), and I hve called him, and am worried that he didnt answer.

Comment

gero, I think you're wanting the You learn something new every minute thread...

Hope your mate's ok, by the way.

Comment

Thanks GO... No chance of him being involved... panic. Its not looking good otherwise...

Comment

Hof, have you listened to The Dreaded Lurgi, then?

Comment

I've not actually, no. I just heard someone use the word earlier and decided to look up its derivation, and was quite surprised at its provenance.

Comment

You should. It's very funny. You can borrow my copy if you like.

Comment

I learned that you do not lose one-third of your body heat through your head

Comment

I've learned that there's a term called "lurgy," which people use to refer to a non-specific, generally minor, ailment.

I've also learned that the UK mail system had something called a "recorded delivery," but I don't know what that is.

Comment

Stumpy: you can do, but only because people don't usually wear hats but do wear other clothes. If you were naked, you'd lose a roughly proportionate amount, depending on your hair thickness.

Comment

I've learned the term 'lairy' on the 'rough England' thread. It seems to mean 'dodgy'. I think.

Comment

Ooh, thanks, GY - I may well have to take you up on that. Rather shamefully, I don't think I've ever heard any of the Goon Show before.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                    Stumpy: you can do, but only because people don't usually wear hats but do wear other clothes. If you were naked, you'd lose a roughly proportionate amount, depending on your hair thickness.
                                    Indeed, but the original 1/3 statement suggested that the head was unusually prone to heat loss. Which it probably isn't (or at least not by that much).

Comment

you can do, but only because people don't usually wear hats but do wear other clothes.
                                      As a citizen of a confirmed hat-wearing country, you can pretty much tolerate any kind of cold for an indefinite period of time if you're wearing a warm hat. If you're not, you'll wish you were dead in a relatively short period of time. And, indeed, you might be.

Also, while not an expert on the matter, I think your body regenerates heat rather quickly, whereas your head doesn't. It's like fingers and toes in its 'loses heat fast but doesn't replace it' capacity.

Comment

Lairy's a bit more specific than dodgy. It connotes aggro or a potential to break out into violence.

Comment

WOM - that's mainly a surface area/volume issue, combined with capillary contraction. Obviously, the tissue on your scalp is pretty thin.

Comment

As a citizen of a confirmed hat-wearing country, you can pretty much tolerate any kind of cold for an indefinite period of time if you're wearing a warm hat. If you're not, you'll wish you were dead in a relatively short period of time. And, indeed, you might be.
                                            Well, yes, but it's as GY said -- the head's the most likely part of your body to be uncovered. So you're most likely to be losing heat through your head.

If you went out in a balaclava and exposed the same surface area of left leg, you'd be in a similar position in terms of heat loss.

Comment

The other day I learned that in 1936, researchers found that a male woodpecker will immediately attack a female woodpecker if it is wearing a false moustache.

I know it wasn't today, but I feel it needs to be shared with a wider audience.

Comment

I learnt that Pi is the greek sympbol for P and stands for perimeter (NOT parameter). I also learnt that it is another thing popularised by Euler and that it used to called Archimeddes constant. I also learnt that it isn't 22 divided by 7.

I also find that the earth is about 60 miles narrower from pole to pole than around the equator

Comment

If you went out in a balaclava and exposed the same surface area of left leg, you'd be in a similar position in terms of heat loss.
                                                  According to something I read, as a result of this thread, not true. The head was 'designed' for maximum heat dissipation. 'Similar to an elephant's ears', was the comparison made. Apparently it's rife with heat-losing blood vessels that are close to the surface, compared to the rest of the body.

As well, it's quite the thing over here, amongst university-aged males and fellow travelers, to wear shorts all winter long. And, having done it a few times, it's not that bad as long as you're wearing a good hat and gloves.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X