Clear All

David Cameron's son has died

Bloody hell

ah... this is not good news in any way.

Sorry.

Comment

I have seen him push his son's wheelchair around Witney.

Comment

More OTF necrophilia...

Comment

ok, I am going to say it:

I am sorry for his and his wife's situation... I can understand the hurt and anxiety, and thereafter, desolation... but if there is one mention of this in any forthcoming election, mine is a 00 gauge. (above and below).

Comment

just re-read that, and it is the most crass thing I have ever typed. I am going to leave it, because the world should know what a cnut I am.

Aw fuck.

Comment

I see the "if" but that's probably pre-judging the situation rather. Cameron didn't make much capital out of his son's condition in the past.

It's just a very sad thing.

Comment

It's not that crass, g

Maybe not Cameron but there will be people in Tory Central working out different ways to "play" this out in the media, I guarantee, and, plenty in Labour who will be working out how to react

Comment

Well, they're going to win anyway, so with any luck they won't need to sink that far. I agree with Andy C; this is just very sad.

Comment

Agreed. It's been suggested that Cameron's experiences with his late child will make him a more humane Tory leader, more conscious of the importance of things like the NHS, etc. That might be so but I suspect ultimately this will be a negligible factor. As with the Jade Goody cancer, there's little else to be said other than - how very sad. However, I can hear a certain section of the commentariat grinding into action right now . . .

Comment

I was going to criticise Bored for his cynicism within hours of the child's death but then heard Heseltine on the radio making political capital with the "David's attitude to the NHS was formed by his son's condition" line.

It reminded me of Prescott pontificating about Robin Cook and "Labour's record-breaking three election victorys" before the guy's corpse was even cold and after he'd resigned from the bloody cabinet.

I wish these scumbags could wait even 24 hrs before they try the sloganeering.

Comment

This is very sad.

But if only somebody would tell us What It Says About Us As A Nation.

Comment

When Brown lost his child, there wasn't any awful cynical stuff was there? Or did I just not pay attention?

Comment

It's not so much people making capital, though that may happen here - it's about people making spurious connections along the lines Toro suggests.

Comment

I really can't imagine losing a child at that age, especially (as seems to be the case) that his disabilities, while potentially challenging for his future life, were not expected to lead to a sudden death like this.

Britain now has a Prime Minister and a Leader of the Opposition who have both been affected personally by the terrible tragedy of infant/childhood death. I expect that will, to some degree and at some level, subtly shift the deabte about the value of funding research in those areas, and that can't be a bad thing, if there is to be any long-lasting legacy from today.

Comment

I was going to criticise Bored for his cynicism within hours of the child's death but then heard Heseltine on the radio making political capital with the "David's attitude to the NHS was formed by his son's condition" line.
                                Even I thought it was possibly a bit off but I was answering gerontophile's posts. Otherwise, I would have left it at my opening posts.

It's not just the parties, there are loads of people whose careers are based on how to deal with this sort of situation other than sympathy for the parties involved - photographers, media etc will all be working out how to deal with it rather than just show symapathy

Comment

The BBC have titled their piece:

Cameron's 'beautiful boy' dies

I'm sure they could have been just a tad less flippant.

Or maybe it's me misreading it.

Comment

That's what they said.

Very sad, but no more.

Far bigger tragedies happen daily.

Comment

Why is the BBC headline flippant, Max? The intro suggests that "beautiful boy" is a phrase Cameron himself used.

Comment

Working...
                                      X