In the Glory of the Lord.

Comment

What's the roughest place in England?

Mine eyes have never seen it.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
          Wa ayat al Urbi wrote:
          Is it really legendarily difficult? Cool.
          Well, yeah. People on here have failed it three or four times as adults. Christ, you could show up drunk here and still pass with a few points to spare. I'd imagine your father in law has seen some charming driving in his day.
          Not since 1990 he hasn't.

Comment

Haha, "Bellenden Village" could be a nickname for where I grew up.

I've lived, for the last decade, in Brixton, Green Lanes (home of the Turkish heroin trade murder wars) and next-door to the Kennington estate where those kids filmed their happy slapping murder on their mobile phones. I've never been mugged, assaulted or even verbally merked by anyone except spoilt Australians, even when careening around Walworth, lost and dressed like a day-glo Bryan Ferry, at four in the morning. I've never seen a knife or a gun, or any violence worse than someone kicking their associate up the arse on the way out of a pub, in any of these places (the only gun I've ever seen was in a Norfolk field, broken over the forearm of a one-toothed farmer - no joke - who thought I was trying to steal his pheasants when I stopped off for a piss in his field).

But it does happen, as the stats attest. The weird thing is, as someone with an office job who rents rooms in damp-ridden, neglected terraces from private landlords, I'm actually profiting from the fact that 15-year-olds in my postcode live such miserable lives. If they didn't, I'd pay as much rent as the more superstitious and conservative renters of Highgate and Belsize Park.

I'm also a 6ft tall white male, which - anecdotally - seems to have left me in a safer position than my female friends down here. Most of them have had a fucking nasty, threatening experience at some point, ranging from a housemate getting clonked on the head and having her phone nicked, to my ex being dragged toward a car by a massive red-eyed bloke after leaving my house at midday, not long after witness appeal signs started appearing in Brixton detailing the kidnaps and murders of random women from the town centre. I know you're much more likely to become a victim of violent crime if you're male, but you don't really face that kind of heaviness. "Discomfiting" doesn't cover it, but thankfully I've not heard about anything remotely bad for a good five or six years, except through the papers.

Comment

That's weird. I've come to the conclusion that I must exude an aura that repels any kind of antisocial behaviour within an area of about fifty metres about my person, too, because I've managed to escape most of the unpleasantness you vividly describe. You don't think that this day-glo Bryan Ferry thing might have had something to do with your air of invulnerability, do you?

Comment

Mumpo, you combine that look that says not only "I'm bloody hard, me" but also "I'm out there. I've got virtually EVERY episode ever made of Doctor Who on DVD."

There's very few that would dare mess with you or yours, man.

Comment

Carlisle is a fucking dump. I don't suppose it comes very high on a list of Danny Dyer's ports of call, but I've never been beaten up anywhere else, so I'm a bit prejudiced against the place.

Also the council wanted to take down a sculpture after the floods there because they thought it was bringing bad luck to the town. Luckily I moved out before they started burning heretics.

Here you go. Nutters.

Comment

Barrow-in-Furness: a bit shit

Comment

You don't think that this day-glo Bryan Ferry thing might have had something to do with your air of invulnerability, do you?
                      I doubt I have one of those, but I do think confusion has a lot to do with it. If you don't sit in a recognisable visual categaory - and it's still easier to avoid that when you're white - people tend to leave you be, just cause they don't know what to say. My ex who had the most trouble in Brixton was quite dark skinned (Sri Lankan by birth) and the old-school West Indian wide boys seemed to feel entitled to give her shit/talk to her as they wouldn't to a blonde caucasion woman as a result.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                        Mumpo, you combine that look that says not only "I'm bloody hard, me" but also "I'm out there. I've got virtually EVERY episode ever made of Doctor Who on DVD."

There's very few that would dare mess with you or yours, man.
                        I don't know, my hair is rather fey these days. Mind you, I suppose that could be working for me just as well as against me.

Comment

I've lived, for the last decade in....Green Lanes (home of the Turkish heroin trade murder wars)
                          See I lived there as well.

Hold on, there have been two murders in Bath since I moved in as well. I am either a schizophrenic murderer or a fucking jinx

Comment

As a Kid the rough area's out of my "Endz" where you don't want to get caught "slippin" were.

1. Stonebridge Park
                            2. Brixton (especially Sommerleyton road estate aka the Frontline)
                            3. Peckham
                            4. West Kensington (aka west Ken)
                            5. Clapton (down by Hackney Marshes)
                            6 Dalston.
                            Hackney was as rough as anywhere and if you had nobody to vouch for you, you didn't dare enter at all.
                            This was the late 80's and early 90's when Sandrinham Road had its notorious reputation.

Nowadays, many of these areas have had many of its building demolished and had been gentrified.

I have been to Merthyr a couple of times last summer when visiting the Prince Charles Hospital (which is an exact replica of the Hospital in St Asaph BTW) and i can confirm that even on a warm summers day it looked grim.
                            I was in such a hurry to get out that i got flashed by a camera and due in court next week.

Drove past Port Talbot numerous times as well en route to Swansea and only went in there once. I hope not to do that again.

I remeber going out in Rhyl with a my brother and Mr Kipling a few years ago and going back to the house of a couple of girls we met.
                            The area looked rough, and as soon as we got in their place they started smoking weed and sniffing coke.

As for Cardiff there is the area where Bellamy's mother lives which seemed to have kids hanging out on the street even at 4am and eyeing my car suspiciously. It's to the east of the city at the end of Newport Road.

Newport city centre on a weekend night is rough though

Comment

"I've lived, for the last decade in....Green Lanes (home of the Turkish heroin trade murder wars"

Nowadays it is the Kossovan Albanians with their 24 hour goceries being run by Keyser Soze types.
                              Not be messed with at all.

Comment

Can we even be this specific?

From the sounds of this there's 20 places or more, aspiring to be the biggest sh*thole.

And that's before we factor in the relative toilets in Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

It kind of adds up to quite a general depressing picture of a minority of urban areas of Britain & Ireland.
                                Doubtless with the recession it can only get worse in the short-term.....

Comment

Working...
                                X