What's the roughest place in England?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a fair point Liquidator, when I lived in Brixton it struck me that the KFC didn't have a glass panel keeping the punters away from the staff unlike the one on the main street in the Boro. But yet back home people all had the idea that living in Brixton meant I was probably going to get shot.

Comment

KFC didn't have a glass panel keeping the punters away from the staff
      or possibly vice-versa

Comment

The roughest part of the town I grew up in is Gibbonsdown - where my dad lives - although certain parts of Cardiff (Splott and bits of Ely) are even worse.

The roughest part of the city Mrs Rhino grew up in is the Scottswood (Scotswood?) estate. So you can add both of those to your map.

Liquidator's not wrong about Port Talbot, though.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
          The roughest part of the town I grew up in is Gibbonsdown
          If I'd come across such a name in the very early seventies, I'd've probably died...

Comment

When I went to Cardiff people said, 'oooh stay away from Grangetown, it's all rough there and full of brown people.' I take it's just poor rather than rough, yes?

Comment

Rogin - I did consider that joke, but as they are mainly students & the type who would struggle to get across the counter I didn't bother.

Comment

We have a Grangetown that you would probably have to describe as both poor and rough.

Comment

Does 'the Border' still exist in Middlesbrough? When my brother was at Teesside Poly the first advice he was given was 'don't go over the border'.

I never found Stoke-on-Trent all that bad, although that was years ago.

Comment

Do drive-by shootings exist in England?

Comment

Some interesting data here:
                      http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/soti.html

Follow tabulated statistic link and play around.

Violent offences per 1000 of population.

Merthyr turns out to be a relative toytown, with only 21 per thousand. Had I said Gloucester without producing this chart, you'd have laughed at me. But it's much more violent than Merthyr with 27. Posh Cheltenham comes level with Merthyr. Gloucester's only 2 behind Manchester, despite having far fewer visitors.

Middlesbrough does very badly indeed (34), but I think the worst is Southampton 38.

Comment

Do drive-by shootings exist in England?
                        And, given the legendary difficulty of obtaining a license, is people driving without one a big problem?

Comment

no

Comment

sorry, that was wrapped around a quote from someone on page 1 of this thread.

Its only as rough as you make it, unless you walk into a certain area at a certain time knowing what you are doing.

If you do the same thing, and DONT know what you are doing, the roughest places tend to let you off.

Comment

ganja wrote:
                              Is it safe to assume that where the roughest football fans are to be found, are among the roughest places in England, or?
                              sorry, that one. I will adjust my travel arrangements to suit...

Comment

Welcome back, gero. How was prison?

Comment

Clearly having a football team doesn't make a place violent. But I think we can be thankful Gloucester doesn't have a big one.

Someone said this sounds like an idea for a Danny Dyer show. Well, he's been to Gloucester, and the council put him on its website:

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                    Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                    The roughest part of the town I grew up in is Gibbonsdown
                                    If I'd come across such a name in the very early seventies, I'd've probably died...
                                    It really is a monkey's arse of a place, as well.

It's funny how grim places invariably do have grim names, and nice places have nice ones.

I mean, I heard of a London suburb called Strawberry Hill the other day, and I thought it can't possibly live up to the billing and is probably stabby and muggy and shooty and cracky in real life, but nope, it's affluent and leafy.

Comment

SR: If you want to experience a true discrepancy between the name of a place, and the place itself, you might want to go to Flowery Field in Hyde at some point.

(SPOILERS): it looks like this:

Comment

How often do those yellow and white directional markers get smashed all to fuck? Or is there a big iron bar up the centre?

Comment

Strawberry Hill has a very early Gothic Revival house of the same name. Supposed to be well worth a look.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                            It's funny how grim places invariably do have grim names, and nice places have nice ones.
                                            I dunno about that, round us we've got Broadwater Farm vs Crouch End.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                              How often do those yellow and white directional markers get smashed all to fuck?
                                              My brother once hit one, 'cos he couldn't see it as it was covered in mud. Sadly, as he was on his bike, it hurt...

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                                How often do those yellow and white directional markers get smashed all to fuck? Or is there a big iron bar up the centre?
                                                They're completely hollow and rubbery, so you can crash a car into them and there is a good chance they will plop back into place. The only damage you tend to see to them is them either getting ripped out at the root, or buckled slightly.

That is what people in the biz call "passive safety", not-dying-in-a-car-crash fans.

Comment

Ha, good cross...

Comment

"And on the roads, vicious gangs of Keep Left signs."

Comment

Working...
                                                    X