What's the roughest place in England?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I lived in Margate I did meet people who thought that going to London was a real adventure, something they'd only done on one or two occasions in their lives - but I'm at a loss to understand how it's possible to live in Hastings and never have seen the sea.

Comment

Boro-Hammers trouble

Comment

Toxteth at the far end of Huskinson Street can be a bit lairy.
        I'll give another shout for Aldershot. Home of the British Army, so the locals get well trained sparring partners.

Comment

Ultonia orange or green shitholes top ten:

10 Antrim
          9 Ballymoney
          8 Kilkeel
          7 Newry
          6 Portadown
          5 Strabane
          4 Larne
          3 Magherafelt
          2 Ballymena
          1 Lurgan

Comment

Millwall is Bermondsey rather than Peckham, isn't it?

I went back to Edmonton last summer for the first time since I was a child (North London, Ganja, right next to Tottenham), and that looked a bit rougher then I remembered it. The developers at Edmonton Green shopping precinct had done an oustanding job of it. Rather than demolishing the piss-stained monstrosity, they had put a load of buildings in front of it so you couldn't see it from the main road.

Other than that, Hatfield. It's about twenty miles due north of London. I'm not sure that I can find the words to describe the words Hatfield town centre, beyond "derelict". Oh, and Hastings (on the south coast, about half-way between Brighton and Dover, Ganja)was pretty horrible too. This is all a bit southern-centric, so I'll throw in a second vote for Stoke On Trent (more or less halfway between Birmingham and Manchester, Ganja) and also a little nod to Whitley Bay (near Newcastle, Ganja), which felt to me being dropped into the middle of a civil war when I went there on a Friday night about five years ago.

Comment

Furtho wrote:
              When I lived in Margate I did meet people who thought that going to London was a real adventure, something they'd only done on one or two occasions in their lives - but I'm at a loss to understand how it's possible to live in Hastings and never have seen the sea.
              There have been studies, Nige says.

Comment

What's the similarity between Margate and veteran popster-actress Cherilyn Sarkisian LaPiere?

Comment

That thing about Hastings kids not seeing the sea applies to Dormanstown too (so I'm told), which is basically part of Redcar and probably no further than one & half to two miles to the beach.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                    What's the similarity between Margate and veteran popster-actress Cherilyn Sarkisian LaPiere?
                    Extensively redeveloped front, or some such?

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                      They've both slept with Tracey Emin?

Comment

It's inconceivable that she wouldn't have insisting on belting out, on occasions, "No-one Likes Us", or "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles", for example at a banquet to celebrate the successful conclusion of a UK-Tanzania trade negotiation, before laughing uproariously, farting and then falling back to sleep.
                        An image they no doubt considered before plumping for this one, unveiled today:

Can't help thinking of that Lynx Chocolate ad though.

Comment

Cher and Margate: neither has been fucking sunny for ages.

Comment

Roughest place in Britain I ever visited was Fazakerley, specifically the massive tower block on Haven Road (Joe Morgan Heights) where my mam's aunt and uncle lived.

This was in the summer of 1982. I was six years old at the time, but even a small child could tell that the place and the surrounding locale were in a bad way.

Joe Morgan Heights has since been demolished.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                              Ultonia orange or green shitholes top ten:

10 Antrim
                              9 Ballymoney
                              8 Kilkeel
                              7 Newry
                              6 Portadown
                              5 Strabane
                              4 Larne
                              3 Magherafelt
                              2 Ballymena
                              1 Lurgan
                              you forgot coalisland, it's the 1950's there, and not in a good way. lurgan isn't anywhere near as bad as portadown. parts of lurgan are actually quite nice. Portadown needs to be razed to the ground.

Comment

Not quite England, but the walk from Ibrox back to Glasgow City Centre seemed to be through some fairly rough parts - some of the pubs were what I could only describe as shacks.

Nearly as impressive as Seven Sisters tube to White Hart Lane.

Comment

I agree with E10 about Merthyr. It is possibly the most depressing place in the entire world. A lot of those run-down towns in the South Wales valleys are seriously grim.

Comment

The walk from Parkhead to the Barrowlands is at least the equal to that from Ibrox, I'd have said.

Comment

My cousin moved from Dublin to Merthyr for love. It's the grimmest place I've ever been to.

Comment

Dogbeak's super special countdown of "Top 10 North-West Shitholes I Have Been Unfortunate Enough To Spend A Considerable Amount Of Time In":

10 Islington, Salford
                                        09 Ancoats, Manchester
                                        08 Lower Broughton, Salford
                                        07 Weaste, Salford
                                        06 Ordsall, Salford
                                        05 Farnworth, Bolton
                                        04 Westhoughton, Bolton
                                        03 Wythenshawe, Manchester
                                        02 Miles Platting, Manchester
                                        01 Chadderton, Oldham

Chadderton is the absolute fucking pits, a horrible grey place where the sun never shines and the rain never stops and all the fucked-up hideous yokels spend their lives fucking each other and either voting BNP or getting the shit kicked out of them by the people who are voting for the BNP.

Comment

I don't mind Seven Sisters to WHL all that much. It's definitely rough as old boots, but it's not bleak the way the industrial bits of Tottenham near the A406 are. Not at all.

Comment

05 Farnworth, Bolton
                                            That's my birthplace you're slagging off there. Although you're absolutely right. Home of the Phoenix Club on Phoenix Nights.

Comment

NHH's take.

Comment

WaaU - see, industrial bleakness kind of makes my heart sing in a perverse way - it looks like home & the view out of the window at my new desk.

A couple of years ago I went to a pre-season friendly in Mantua & spent several pleasant hours in the medieval town square before we got on the coach to the out of town ground - there was a courier on board (and a driver who had an uncanny likeness to Bryan Robson that was celebrated in song) and she apologised profusely as we passed the newly built chemical works on the way and just didn't seem to get how earnest we all were when we told her that actually we quite like that kind of thing.

Orange sky at night, Teessider's delight.

Comment

Walworth's alright,Nocturnal.Where i live,anyway.The kids are a bit shit at football though.They seem to mistake my kitchen window for a goal.

Comment

It depends what you mean by rough, really ganja. Most likely to get beaten up as a stranger? That could apply to all sorts of places that are ostensibly ok, but not nice to look at suburbs, like Watford or Croydon. Most likely to get shot? There's whole tracts of Liverpool, Birmingham, London and Manchester where that could apply, but innocent bystanders are rarely involved. Economically depressed former industrial hotbeds? Christ, where do you want to start?

I say this every time, but Port Talbot in south Wales is fucking horrendous in just about every conceivable way. I'd rather live in Baghdad.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X